Scope covers; which one works best for snow days?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I've usually used the "Bikini" stretch rubber scope covers, but sometimes I'd like to have quicker access. what do you guys, who hunt on snowy days (heavy snow) use? About the time I think I'll use my peep sighted Mod 94BB ( have one each, .375 & 444) I think of the times the game was 200+ yards away on another ridge or what that snow will do to my "heirloom" Big Bores, and just use a scoped rifle. I carry dry paper towels in a baggy, and at times I just draped a heavy cloth over my scope/action. But when you uncover it, its going to get snow on the lens, etc. Just curious to what you guys use? I tried a search but couldn't find anything.

Butler caps have worked well for me. Both front and rear flip up out of the way by pushing a leaver. Doesn't take long to do , quick and easy. Can be removed and carried in your pocket if not needed. Works for me. Dan.

I generally use the bikini style covers. I’ve yet to use a flip cap that really kept water out as well. The Leupold alumna screw on caps are the best I have used.

When it’s really wet out there noting is impervious. I’ve had to blow the snow out of peep sights on several occasions.

The Leupold neoprene bikini covers are pretty good and protect the scope more than the stretched inner tube style that just cover the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used the Butler Creek covers for years, and they work well. Prefer their solid black caps to the see through Blizzard models, as I fear that the center see through section could come out or leak.

For the Leupolds, I really like the Alumina scope covers, as they flip back flat against the scope, so are less likely to block vision or get knocked off. Not cheap, but I feel they are worth it.

The Swarovski scope covers are great too, but are expensive. And they are not available for all models.

The neoprene covers are nice and add an extra layer of protection from bumps, but can be lost easier.

Another great option are the new rifle covers that are weatherproof and can be easily put on or taken off your rifle as you hunt. They allow your rifle to be hung from your shoulder by a sling while still covered. Also protects your rifle when in transit without the bulk of a soft gun case.

I usually zip tie the rubber style that come with nightforce to the scope so they don’t get lost.
7322be8d4beca76712c1ea4b0cd10c32.jpg

The Leupold neoprene style have never fallen off for me but I have had the hard plastic cup and bungy style fall off while hinting.

43be1e8586ccaf91d36d42dc52e4d91b.jpg

You can get sunguard extensions on some scopes which would probably keep the wet off your front lens once you open the cover.

You can get sunguard extensions on some scopes which would probably keep the wet off your front lens once you open the cover.

I like the Leupold Alumina but for the ultimate in protection...the Scope Coat has worked outstanding.

I use flip ups . I have a few sets of the Leupold alumina covers . on other scopes I use the Butler creek flip ups . I have one set of aadmount caps . these are a tough , nice fitting flip up cap. he is using a picture of my rifle , it's the rifle in the snow .

http://www.aadmount.com/Caps/Caps.html

I have updated most of my scopes in recent years to the newer Leupold models that offer the Alumina scope covers. Otherwise I use Butler Creek flip up scope covers.

JD338

Blkram":1r1nrwlw said:
Look like quality scope caps.
Will have to get them fo my Swarovskis.

I used to see Jon on a couple of gun forums , but it's been a while . He went by "JonA " . nice guy to talk to .

For what it's worth, I've used Butler Creek and 3 or 4 neoprene covers and found them falling short of what I thought was absolute protection. I then discovered flip up covers by Monstrum Tactical. I guess you could call them overbuilt versions of the Butler Creek covers. Not knowing how they were going to work I ordered just one
set. I was so impressed after installing them I ordered 9 more sets from Amazon and couldn't be happier. I have them on Leupold, Zeiss, Bushnell, Burris and Night Force scopes and they work great. However, you may need to remove the rubber ring on the ocular lens (eyepiece) in order for them to fit. That was/is the only "glitch" but you have to do the same to install some Butler Creeks. Good luck and may your aim always be true.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

As I pretty much hate anything that adds complexity to my life, mechanical covers are not part of my arsenal. I have a couple of friends who use them and swear by them but I don't. I have had two separate circumstances in my life where a scope cover cost me a shot, so I stick to the simplest possible alternative. The the flexible neoprene type that you can tear or slip off in an instant. I fact one of those is still laying in a patch of timber, in Arizona right now. I took it off just prior to the shot them failed to retrieve it later. I will have to find another.

I've used the Leupold neoprene, the Butler Creek, and the bikini style.

I tend to shy away from Butler Creek, as it only takes one episode of leaving the cap closed and missing a chance at a deer to make you hate them. With the neoprene or bikini, it's obvious that the cover is there. Generally they remove quickly.

If I do use the Butler Creek I try to remind myself frequently that it's there, and if its not raining or showing I leave it up. I also tend to not put them on the eyepiece end of the scope.

Pictures of the Tenebraex

Attachments

• C4E8773F-9DDB-47BB-A9AA-D1713970D6EC.jpeg
    C4E8773F-9DDB-47BB-A9AA-D1713970D6EC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1,165
  • 908EF006-8C85-4F5E-8096-9D18D3EE79CF.jpeg
    908EF006-8C85-4F5E-8096-9D18D3EE79CF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1,165
  • 219C129C-BEDD-420A-9B9B-066093EC72BA.jpeg
    219C129C-BEDD-420A-9B9B-066093EC72BA.jpeg
    991.7 KB · Views: 1,165
A piece of clear saran wrap and a rubber band has worked for as long as I can remember . Stretched tight it will let the water rain or snow bead up and run off it needed it it can be pulled off with ease for a clearer sight picture and has never let me down plus you don't have to worry about loosing it. Yeah I'm cheap but it works :roll: :lol: :lol:

edit for spelling dang spell check didn't pick it up :( :lol:

Back