Scope for 25-06

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I would like to start shopping for a scope for my 25-06. I would like to shoot out to 300 and maybe 400 yards with it. As of now, I have $350 for a scope. I am able to get a discount from Burris and Leupold. So, what would you get in that $350 range?

It's a little over your $350.00 price you list, but I sure like the 6x42mm Leupold! I really like the fixed powers and have never felt handicapped with them and the straight six seems just about perfect for almost everything, at least to me! :grin: They make the scope with the LR duplex reticle with dots for various distances, and some other options as well. Of course a 3.5-10x40 mm Leupold is more, but the variable sure are nice!! Maybe with your discount one of those would be in the ballpark!!
What rifle is it going on???
David

I ran it on a Sako 7mm RUM. Never a problem. Killed a couple of bucks with it.

I have a Minox ZA3 3-9 x 40 on my 25-06.
CamerlandNY has them at $299 for the "Open Box Special". I used it in Wyoming for my antelope hunt and I'm really pleased with the optical quality. You might want to give them a look.

Vince":3sbv1smg said:
CamerlandNY has them at $299 for the "Open Box Special". I used it in Wyoming for my antelope hunt and I'm really pleased with the optical quality. You might want to give them a look.

That has to be one of the best values in optics right now. In a few years, we aren't going to believe that these scopes could be had for under $300.

Mountain Goat":3lf1px5i said:
Vince":3lf1px5i said:

That has to be one of the best values in optics right now. In a few years, we aren't going to believe that these scopes could be had for under $300.

That is for certain. It is embarrassing to state what Conquest scopes were selling for just a few years past. The same is true for Kahles. Once Minox is established, you can bet the price will reflect valuation.

Most of my hunting with the .25-06 has been done with a 6x (42mm obj) fixed power Leupold. It's worked out great. Very generous "eye box" making it easy to use. Very clear optics and excellent low light performance.

Have made some good shorter-range shots with it, no problem, and Steven (Roysclockgun) saw me whack a coyote at 420 yards with it just a few weeks ago. That's not the only 400+ yard shot I've made using that particular scope.

Variables are fine. Most people use them. I use them a lot myself, but I've really fallen hard for the 6x Leupold. My son uses the older 6x Leupold with a 36mm objective lens, and it too is a good scope. He's taken a bear and a buck with it in recent years. I regularly practice with that rifle out to 300 yards, standing, sitting and prone.

Just something to consider. The straight 6x has worked out real well for me on a couple of rifles.

Regards, Guy

A 4.5-14x40mm would be ideal on your 25-06

JD338

I have an older (1990 or so) Leupold 3.5-10x40 on mine... I'd have a hard time convincing myself to try anything different unless I could afford something like a Swaro 3.5-10x42, though a Minox 2-10x gets a lot of recommendations around here (ahem... señor Scotty...).

Hard to beat the Minox 2-10's or 3x9's. I do like the 3.5x10 VX3's alot as well, but the Minox is much better to my eye.

wisconsinteacher":2cpcgdrv said:
Any thoughts on the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42?

WT, I have this same scope and have been very pleased with it's performance. It is on a coyote rifle of mine(.243) and have used it in various low light situations and was very surprised at how well it did. Sure there are others out there that are better, but I like the OBJ size, AO, and the BDC and this is an affordable option.

Mike

WT, I have the twin of the Burris, a first generation Pentax Pioneer, in 4.5-14x42. It's a great scope, and it lived atop my 270Wby for a couple of years. Took my biggest buck to date through it, at 175yds, through heavy woods cover, from one side of a ravine to the other and uphill about 75yds elevation or so. Good scope, overall, and one of the best bang for the bucks out there.

As I know the 25-06 you have is the heavy barreled version, I'll make one more suggestion to look into the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vort ... per6-20x44

In the wide duplex reticle, it's $279, leaving you money for a good set of mounts. I'll suggest the 30mm Talley Lightweight one piece aluminum ringmounts, as I've come to love them. I may convert everything I own over to them soon.

The Viper series is excellent glass, and it's one of the best bargains out there in this particular model from CLNY. Normally, it would be a $400+ scope, but CLNY has a deal on the models with this reticle for $279. A friend who shoots things a couple of counties away from his position has used these scopes extensively, and while he'll tell you they're not Nightforce, which is what he uses on his best rigs, they are great scopes and certainly great at $280. I've considered buying one just to sock it away, but I already have that Pentax collecting dust and dying to have a new rifle under it...

ajvigs":2ipsbehh said:
Cabelas, Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 $299 AND free shipping

I'd take this in a heartbeat over any Burris or Leupold or whatever - and I own all of them.

Would go with a leupold over burris anyday but thats just me...Do not care for them at all

I run a vx3 6.5-20x40 with elevation turret on my 25...Works great for me and the shooting/hunting I do out to 1000.

For ranges you are speaking of, I'd want at least a 12 or 14x.

Higher power is gonna cost a bit more, but your probly gonna end up wanting to stretch it out further then 400 once you start shooting and getting good at that distance anyway. I always like a bit more power for LR shooting, makes a bit easier to see what your trying to shoot. Reticle choice has a bit to do with it as well, depending on size of target...I like fine duplex. Doesn't cover up to much of the target, even at longer distances.

Shop around for a good used vx3 in a 14x or 20x is what I would do, they can be had and found for around $400 if you look hard and long enuf. I picked up the vx3 20x leupold for my 25-06 for $300 only a year ago.

Back