Scope for a Featherweight 270...for my wife

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
I've already decided on Talley mounts...but I can't seem to get behind the idea of putting that Nikon 3-9x40 on her new rifle...she needs more magnification, enough to be able to see small antlers out to around 400 yards, where we hunt the shots are almost always over 300 yards, and can be up to 800, but she doesn't shoot much past 400...9x won't do it...figured that out last year on this lil scrub deer...at 345 yards she thought it was a doe, I was able to see those lil spikes through my scope...but I don't think she wants a. scope on her rifle that weighs 1.5 lbs.

My budget is kinda low...she'll raise the dickens if I spend more that about $350 on her scope...but I want a clear and reliable optic for her...I have some ideas, but am looking for any and all suggestions.

If we had bigger deer this wouldn't be an issue :lol:

That Remington looks pretty nice, Maybe a 4-12 Leupold or something would work fine.

gerry":3urp1af4 said:
That Remington looks pretty nice, Maybe a 4-12 Leupold or something would work fine.

That is a good Remington...but I just never have been satisfied with the speed out of that barrel...that rifle and I go back about 20 years...my buddy bought it new, sold it to me, bought it back, sold it to me again...and is going to buy it back again, lol.

Its a very accurate rifle, always has been...but its a very slow rifle...max loads with 130's will only yield 2,850 fps, which works...but it just irks me :x

I only bought it for her to get started with, to see if she was gonna stick to hunting before spending much money on it...her birthday is in October, but the Featherweight is gonna be her early present...plenty of time to put some rounds through it before season.

The Leupys are nice...but expensive.

I don't want more than 12-14x

The eyebox gets pretty fussy on most scopes when you get too much "horsepower"...OK for the target range, not so much for hunting though.

12x is about ideal, but 14x isn't out of the question either.

One of the Burris C 4 scopes would probably fit the bill, I believe they make a 4.5-14x42. From people that have used them it seems Burris did quite well with the C 4 scope.

gerry":32wjbbkz said:
One of the Burris C 4 scopes would probably fit the bill, I believe they make a 4.5-14x42. From people that have used them it seems Burris did quite well with the C 4 scope.

I'll look into that one...thank you!

I'd look at the VX-3 4.5-14x40mm with a CDS dial.
FWIW, I have a Nikon 5.5-16.5x44mm Monarch UCC that I am going to list in the classified.

JD338

JD338":s1vazuh9 said:
I'd look at the VX-3 4.5-14x40mm with a CDS dial.
FWIW, I have a Nikon 5.5-16.5x44mm Monarch UCC that I am going to list in the classified.

JD338

Hmmm...that Nikon sounds interesting...I haven't even heard of that particular one....5.5-16.5x?

I do like 44mm scopes...

That one might be a bit too big, for a Featherweight...I like the magnification well enough, we very rarely use less than 6x for anything...but the AO kinda makes it a bit bulky, and heavy.

Max 12X? I have killed deer for 50 years with a 3.5x10 or 4x12. The 10x works fine for me out to 400 yards.

Oldtrader3":1b2rw47s said:
Max 12X? I have killed deer for 50 years with a 3.5x10 or 4x12. The 10x works fine for me out to 400 yards.

You must have some really good eyes... :) ....or some really big deer.

9x works for shooting the deer, heck...even 6x...but its counting/seeing horns that we need the magnification for.

We both wear prescription glasses...those make binoculars a hassle, heck...even spotting scopes are basically useless to me because of that.

Do you have a good pair of binoculars / spotting scope? If you're going out to 800 yards to identify game, your money might be better spent on a spotter IMHO. Then you could go with a lower magnification riflescope, maybe 3-9 or a fixed power.

I shoot to 800 on occasion...but she does not...this scope is for her (I have one that does the job)

Wearing glasses makes binos a hassle, and its something else to carry...I prefer to only have one thing hanging around my neck, the rangefinder...and even the rangefinder is a hassle with glasses, they never gave enough eye relief...but the Bushnell G-Force 1300 has "almost" enough, it does work in a pinch even with the glasses on.

gerry":1u1ylir7 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^This! I have one and tested it out at the range this weekend, and I was very impressed! Plus a free turret when you get a load set.

I got the rifle on its way...gonna research the scope for a few days...keep the ideas coming.

Thanks fellas!

Bud there is a VX3 in classifieds right now. The other one I would look at is the VX-R by leupold they are a real decent scope!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back