Scope for a Featherweight 270...for my wife

sask boy":eyjy8b59 said:
Bud there is a VX3 in classifieds right now. The other one I would look at is the VX-R by leupold they are a real decent scope!!

Blessings,
Dan

That one is a bit out of my price range....nice scope though.

Check out Cameraland NY. They have new Minox ZV 4.5-14X44 side focus for $279 and an open box demo for $219

So much for waiting I guess...I just pulled the trigger on a Ziess Conquest 3.5-10x44 on Ebay.

Not as much magnification as I wanted, but I really like the 44mm objectives...

Talley rings...will super lows fit or will I have to go with regular low rings?

Anybody know, use Talleys?

Nice! Great scope!

The lows should work. Extra lows might be real tight.

I have mediums on my Weatherby with the Conquest 4.5-14X44 SF and they had plenty of room. Regular lows should work as Scotty stated.

Ok...l wasn't sure if the super lows would fit with the slim barrel contour or not...and even if objective and barrel did clear...not sure about the bolt handle.

Hard to figure this stuff out from the road (I'm in Fargo....home is TN)...to much math, lol.

I'll go with the lows...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Ridgerunner665":24qomh2i said:
So much for waiting I guess...I just pulled the trigger on a Ziess Conquest 3.5-10x44 on Ebay.

Not as much magnification as I wanted, but I really like the 44mm objectives...

RR, I have a 3.5-10x44 Conquest that I bought last summer, when the discontinued them. Mine has the #4 reticle and I like the scope a lot. Mine is really sharp and with adjustments that work and stay put. I would buy another one in a minute!

Thanks OT3,

I'm sure she'll like it...she wanted something more powerful than her 9x, but not something heavy and bulky (would look funny on a Featherweight)...you guys bragging on them German scopes, and me wanting to fix my lady up right...I decided to go all in.

Its hard to decide these things...the perfect scope would have been a 4-12x44mm with no 3rd knob (parallax) that didn't weigh more than a pound...but I did not find one that fit the bill from a company I trust...used to like Nikon, still good scopes...but bulky.

I'm figuring the clarity of the Ziess will make up for some of the lack of "horsepower"...

And...now my wife has a nicer rifle than mine...if you prefer wood, lol (she does)....no worries though, I'd rather do this than buy rocks on rings any day (and so would she)...God, I love that woman!

EDIT: Hers has the Z-plex reticle...she's like me, been using Kentucky windage all her life...doesn't care for "busy" reticles....if she knows the distance, she knows the drop, holdover is easy.

Lows will work perfect I'll see if I can find a picture and post for you. I have a pair in lows on a FW and a sporter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,077
nvbroncrider, that is a great looking set up. I personally like the lowest possible set of mounts & rings that fit on the rifle in question :wink:. I have become real partial to Talley 1 piece rings.

Blessings,
Dan

I also prefer them as low as they can go and still clear everything (barrel, bolt handle)...I have TPS super lows on my 30-06 and they work great...but thats with a 30mm scope, and I'm not sure how 1" super lows compare to that.

Had my wife do some measuring today on my rifle at home, the scope is off it right now (upgrading mounts)...with the TPS super low rings, from the receiver to the bottom of the ring, where the scope sits...its .400" (front)

Thats what talley says their "lows" are...so I'm definitely gonna start there.

The TPS Super Low rings work great on that scope. That is what I have on my 3.5-10x44 Conquest. They will fit great. I would use Talley steel bases with the TPS rings.

It's hard to beat Talleys. Great company, easy to work with and they make high quality hardware. I've pretty much decided to use them when I can from here on out.

OT3,
I'm gonna use Talley lighweights (1 piece) on the Featherweight...my 30-06 has the TPS rings on it, she was measuring them to check the clearance for me....trying to get an idea of how low I can go on the Featherweight.

I called Talley and asked them...a very nice fella answered the phone, but he didn't know much...he recommended mediums, lol...no way...too high.

Back