Scope for elk, moose, and caribou

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
Well i bought a 300 weatherby mag in the hopes that some day I could go on a hunt for one of these big game animals. I really like Vortex optics so I have narrowed my decision to the 3.5-10x50mm viper or the 4-12x40mm viper. I like the 50mm objectives but a max of 12power sounds good. My question is given these two scopes, which would you get and why?

I have found the 40-42 mm objectives to be plenty, even for my aged eyes. The Viper is a fine scope. Recently, I've been looking at the Vortex Razor, which I believe to be exceptional value. Then, when I went in to pick up the paper work to arrange for shipping a new scope, I saw a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 X 42 with a TDS reticle for about 1/2 price. Now I'm really torn. Buy the 4-12 X 40 mm Viper, and you'll never look back.

The larger 50mm lens weigh more, don't always fit a scabbard and a solid cheek weld is more difficult.
I would stay with a 40mm objective. In a hunting situation, 10-12x is more than enough magnification.

JD338

JD338":1nciq9ps said:
The larger 50mm lens weigh more, don't always fit a scabbard and a solid cheek weld is more difficult.
I would stay with a 40mm objective. In a hunting situation, 10-12x is more than enough magnification.

JD338

+1

I tried a 3.5x10-50mm Vari X-3 on my last Vanguard and I HATED IT. Awesome scope, but getting proper cheek weld without adding additional cheek piece height was impossible. The others hit the nail on the head. Your eye can't really process much more light than a 40mm objective offers anyhow.

I am really looking into the Zeiss 3x9-40mm with the Z600 for my 300WBY. The next choice is a Minox. I would like to go with a Leupold if a deal can be found. Scotty

Thanks guys. I figured the 4-12 would be a good choice. If you look on the vortex website they have their LRBC (long range ballistics calculator). I have downloaded this program already. You compute everything that you normally would with this type of program. Then you test it at the range and input the results. Then the program calculates the true BC and velosity and gives you dead nuts accurate info for your setup. Using this info you can get a set of custom turrets made for your scope. This is the most accurate way to get custome turrets. Most other companies use standard info for computing the drop for a given load, but the LRBC also uses the actual range results as well. You guys should check it out!

I just looked at some Vortex. I am having a heckuva time deciding what I want. Pretty sure something with 10X-12X max, 40mm obj and that is about where it stops. That Zeiss Conquest looks pretty good. I will have to really look at the Vortex's though. Scotty

ScreaminEagle":v7h4dha8 said:
Thanks guys. I figured the 4-12 would be a good choice. If you look on the vortex website they have their LRBC (long range ballistics calculator). I have downloaded this program already. You compute everything that you normally would with this type of program. Then you test it at the range and input the results. Then the program calculates the true BC and velosity and gives you dead nuts accurate info for your setup. Using this info you can get a set of custom turrets made for your scope. This is the most accurate way to get custome turrets. Most other companies use standard info for computing the drop for a given load, but the LRBC also uses the actual range results as well. You guys should check it out!

you can figure BC from velocity and drop, or you can figure velocity from BC and drop, but ya gotta have one to get it right.
RR

Screaming Eagle - just how far away are you planning to shoot these big animals? I find no trouble whatsoever shooting mule deer at a quarter mile with a mere 6x Leupold. Moose, elk and even caribou are larger.

I do have some higher magnification scopes, but generally use them for either varmints, target shooting or very long ranges.

Regards, Guy

I'm in Guy's camp here. I've got a 4.5-14x42 on my 270Wby, and I shot my buck at 175yds through the woods on 4.5x, with no trouble at all. For many years I had a 3-9x40 on that rifle and it was plenty to shoot out to 300+ yds. I suspect I can shoot out to 500yds and beyond with a 3-9x40. Remember that clarity is better than magnification any day. The Vortex line is good, so you should have no problems there, from what I hear. I don't own one, but I have trusted friends who do. Oh, and get the 40mm objective. Much more, and you're just throwing off your form and the balance of the rifle.

I think the sweetest scope you can put on a BIG GAME slayer like the 300WBY, would be that 2.5x8 VX3. It is very well rounded and has plenty of magnification, plus, being able to dial it back is great. The 3x9 is my 2nd favorite power range. The higher magnification scopes have their place, but that 2.5x8 is still king of my scopes. I think if Zeiss made a Conquest in that power range, they would sell a ton of them! Oh, and the 2.5x8 is a pretty compact sized scope. That means alot to me, I don't want a fat scope that looks like a PAS 13 on top of my rifles and catches on every single thing in the woods. Plus, the larger objectives are always going to be sitting the obj bell when the rifle is laid on its side. I don't think that is a recipe for success either. Scotty

The 300Wby in my safe wears a 4.5-14x44 Conquest, and I've never felt overglassed on that gun. The issue for me is the ability to stay on 4.5x most of the time, but jack it up to 12-14x if I choose to, for a very long shot. I wouldn't go higher than a 4x class as the bottom of the magnification range, though. I've considered a 6-20x for my 270Wby but resisted because I don't want to limit my lower range to 6x or higher. It's hard enough to find a moving white-tail at 4.5x!

Thanks for the info guys. i'm probably not gonna be shooting at ultra long ranges but I know that out west the need to take long shots comes up now and then.

I use Leupolds on my rifles. I'm seriously considering the new Vortex HS on my 243 AI
I use a 3.5x-10x-40 on all my big game rifles.
I have a couple 4.5x-14x-40 on my varmint/big game rifles.
I never had any problems with shots out to 600 yards or felt I was lacking in magnification.
I live out west and know about long shots, But don't consider myself a long range shooter.
Mirage can be a killer on high magnification scopes at long range, even in the winter when conditions are right.
I would not go with a 50mm lens for the reasons others have said.

Back