Scope for my wife's 6.5x55

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
For around $300 Canadian or a bit more since that is the amount of cash that will be coming with the trade for her 6.5x55 and money is tight these days.

We will need something that will be light, tough and simple to use since she does find shooting a bit intimidating. New or used is fine as long as it is good naturally. Off the top of my head here are a few but would like your input.

Leupold 6x36 - light, simple and tough, mine is certainly an excellent scope.
Burris 2-7x35 - I have 2 and they are good scopes and not too heavy.
Leupold 2-7x33 - light and tough.
Leupold 2.5-8x36 - one of the best all around scopes IMO, fairly light and tough.

Anything with more magnification is likely going to get on the heavy side and starting to get physically big.

Gerry, I do like the Leupolds; and the 2.5-8X33 is a fine scope. I have one on my own .260 Rem. A .358 BLR wore this scope previously, and it worked quite well in that capacity as well. However, any that you name will work for you, I should imagine.

Once the money comes in I'll see what we can come up with, I do think any of them would be nice.

Gerry,

I am partial to the VX-3 2.5-8x36mm. It is a pretty decent scope.

JD338

Gerry,

You can't beat the Leupolds. Unfortunately, for new, the price will be more than $300 for the 2-7x33or the 2.5-8x36. But used, you might get one in that price range. Both are good scopes. I mounted the 2.5-8 on my wife's Steyr in 7mm-08, and I have one on my 338-06. Great glass, light weight and enough magnification for 90% of the hunting that will be done. And I had the fixed 6 power on my first 6.5 x 55 in Rem 700 Classic, and was a great scope. Just like to have a larger exit pupil in lower light conditions (prefer 40mm objectives for most hunting). But these smaller scopes will also keep the rifle light for your wife while in the field.

The Burris is a good scope for the money, and with the posi-lock, a very reliable scope.

If the budget is pretty well set, I'd probably be looking at a VX2 3-9x40. With a little more wiggle room, I might be looking for a VX3 3.5-10x40, or maybe a 6x42 FX3.

If the budget has no wiggle room, I might be looking at a Redfield Revolution 2-7x, 3-10x, or 4-12x, and have a little left over.

that 2-7 leupy is about perfect for what your looking for. I have a really nice light military sporter in 6.5x55 that wears a 1-4 leupy. It works great. For a light trim little rifle that won’t be used past 300 yards it really fits the bill. Super for shooting running critters in tight quarters.

I think that the Leupy 1.5-6, 2-7 or 2.5x8 scopes in VX2 or VX3 (used) would work fine on that 6.5x55 rifle for 300 yards.

All good suggestions so far. I have a couple of the 2-7x33s, several 3-9X40 VX/Vari-X IIs, 3.5-10X40 VX3, and the 6X42 FX3. All of them a are great value. I also have a couple fixed 4x Conquests. If you can find one, it is an extremely useful scope in that $300 ballpark.

I went down to our LGS today and decided we are going to scope it with a 2-7x35 Burris Ballistic Plex. The scope pictured on it is my Leupold 8x40 which will be used for load development when it warms up and is not as windy. I did pick up a Weaver 2.5-7x28 for my 22 lr for a good price, they have a good reputation and it is quite clear. I needed a scope for the 22 for quite a while anyway and now we can both shoot it so Maria can get more trigger time and I need the practice too. When it warms up and I have some loads developed for her 6.5x55 we can start her shooting that as well, she has done well in the past shooting but doesn't have a lot of experience yet.

The Weaver looks good on my CZ 452.

I should also mention I took a look at a few other scopes there. They just got in a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35, the glass seemed pretty good and it looked nice but it was too heavy and the eye relief was a bit short. That would have worked for me but those things stopped me from buying one for her gun, the Burris is lighter, has better eye relief and has a more forgiving eye box. I took a look at a Leupold 2-7x28 Ultralight but not many people speak highly of them, the standard 2-7x33 is much nicer.

Back