Scope for Night Hoggin?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Just got back from Texas. Although we had an awesome time and we shot some hogs, I was in fact ill prepared with my scope.
So the question to the experts is what scope would you get for this task?

I used a win 94 Big bore in 356 win, so I figure small power, bigger than a 20mm and I would love a German #4 reticle.

Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm with the Standard reticle is a very bright scope. The custom shop can add the German #4 reticle.

JD338

For night shooting, it is hard to beat the 30mm tubes and larger objectives. I really lean to the European scopes for this work (Kahles, Swarovski, Zeiss), although the VX7 is a fine scope. I coming to really like the one I have. The VX7 1.5-6 X 24 might be just the ticket on that Model 94. Alternatively, if you wanted to keep an American built scope, the Leupold European-30 2-7 X 33 might be of real interest to you. I haven't actually used this scope, but I did look closely at this particular scope for one of my Model 94s before picking up a Kahles 1.1-4 X 24.

Having never done it, would an illuminate reticle work? Would it be legal?

BK":1o59okrs said:
Having never done it, would an illuminate reticle work? Would it be legal?

Yes and Yes!

Seems like this night hoggin scope would be awesome for night time predator hunting also. I was looking at the Leupold Euro's with the 30mm tube and they looked pretty sharp also. Not exactly the hog scope, but I imagine they would work in a pinch. I know the 30mm tube has to help alot. Scotty

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=142090

Never used one, but I bet some of our Euro users could give some good intel on it. Seems like the Swaro's really rule the roost in nightime/twilight shooting ability. Schmidt and Bender is another, but again, never used one for hunting animals. Scotty

I have Meopta Meostar B1 binoculars, 10x42mm and they are bright! I did a side by side comparison and they were brighter than Swarovski 10x42SL's!
I can't speak to their line of rifle scopes but I can tell you that their glass is excellent.

JD338

Jim, is Meopta a whole seperate company from all the others or a spin off of them? Sorry, don't know much about them. Scotty

Meopta is a 74 year old Czech Republic company and entered the US market in 2004. Their warranty is lifetime and transferable. They private label for several companies, including the Cabela's Euro Binoculars as well as offering their own line of optics, which use their best quality glass.
Meopta offers the Meostar 10x42 #467780 with their best glass. The Meopta optically out performed the Swarovski SLC 10x42 from the side by side comparison I made, having better resolution and true color.

http://www.meopta.com/

JD338

The Meopta scopes are excellent value. I've handled several, and was very impressed with their quality. I have not hunted with them in fading light, as I have with other scopes. Scotty, I believe they are unrelated to any other scopes.

Correct guys! Meopta is a swaro but without the high price. Same class.

Fumy thing, when I was stationed in Germany I worked in the Vogelweh Rod & Gun club near Kaiserslaturn where all the US Military were stationed. A lot of the older (and wiser) GI's would come in and ask me to mount scopes and boresight them. Here is a guy who had a 1960's 94 30-30 Winchester that looked like it had been used as a tomato stake it's whole life . He wanted me to mount a Kahles 8x56mm and 30mm tube. I was like WTF dude? A $600 scope on a $200 rifle?

Later I figured out the German philosophy. 56mm divided by 8 power gave an exit pupil of 7....The perfect light at night! The weirdos with the highest exit pupil always got the pigs and the deer at night!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know! :shock:

POP -

I've been mullin this over for a while now - mostly due to the amount we do at night chasing yotes.

I'm almost starting to think one of the new Redfield reticles with the 50mm objective might do the trick.....
Something that allows a true x-hair, however contains enough aiming feature within the scope that you can
see at night. That additional circle in there could be the answer.
( Have to think that way here - Ill reticles are illegal here )

I would agree with Dr. Mike and his selection of after dark scopes. Three years ago I replaced my Leupold 3.5X10X40 on my .338RUM with a Zeiss Diavari 1.5X6 30MM. I can't begin to tell you the difference I see as the sun goes down. I have looked through the scope after dark and I can still see everything in the woods. I've never used an illuminated reticle but one with an adjustable intensity would fit the bill perfectly. The zeiss has unbelievable clarity (sharpness) but is heavy on the wallet.

The European glass is not cheap; but it is fantastically clear. The fact that night hunting is common in Europe means that they have designed their glass for that particular application.

Jim, I will have to take a look at them. I haven't actually ever seen one, but through you all, I hear of them every once in awhile. Might have to give one a try on my 22-250. It needs a good scope for yotes. The 6x18 Bushnell is okay, but I know there are better.

Mark, I am really looking at the 4x12 Redfield. After seeing how clear and bright my buddies 3x9 was, I am kinda sold on them. Plus, I kind of like that Accu Range reticle. Not sure yet. Still have to pony up the duckets before I get too ahead of myself.

I just checked out the Meopta web site. They have two scopes that seem pretty awesome for the 25-06. The 4x12-40mm and the 4x16-40mm... These look pretty nice. Not sure if I could sign off Leupold just yet though! Scotty

Back