Scope suggestions for a Kimber Montana 260 Rem

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Picking up a Kimber Montana, since the Lengendary thing has become a bust, anyway its has lightweight Talley rings and bases, I want to keep it a nice light packing rifle, what scope would you all suggest? Fixed or Variable? Mostly a hunting rig and occasional target gun, 5-600 max range for playing. Shoot me some thoughts, please and thanks

I prefer variables (versatility)...I'd be looking at Zeiss (from HD5 on up) and Swaro...the edge in being lightweight goes to the Swarovski's.

Myself I wouldn't want a rifle at less than 8 pounds or so...I like mine at 9 pounds but the 260 doesn't have the recoil of the '06 based rounds either, so 8 pounds should be about right...weigh the rifle, mounts, sling, and ammo and go from there with a target weight in mind...

Swaro Z3 3.5-10x42. That's what I want to put on my Remington 700 Ti.

Leupold FX3 6x has been very good to me so far. Variables would be the Swarovski or Leupold 3.5x10.

What about a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40? Trying not to spend the rest of my gun budget!

The Conquest is a fine scope that will serve you well. Availability could be a problem. If not, then go for it.

Zeiss Conquests are good scopes for the money. You can get a 3-9x40 Demo for about $300 or a little more. I have a couple of Conquests and they have worked for me.

A VX-3 2.5-8x36mm would be a nice. choice.

JD338

Any of those would work great if your budget conscious look at Minox as well. They are a good value for there price point. The Z3 is the best of those suggested light and simple but they do run a bit more.

Here's one I like but it won't break the bank and has a bullet proof warranty. Vortex Diamond Back HP 3-12X42. It can be bought for under $300 before tax and shipping and some places might ship it free. I have one on my M700 classic and to be honest I wish I had bought one for the M70 35 Imp. instead of the 2.5-8X36 VX3. The HP series Diamond back is a lot of scope for a lot less.

I agree with truck driver on the Diamondback HP. I now own 2 of them (Diamondback HP) because of how much scope for the $. I am pleased with my Vortex scopes, now own 6 of them. Not the only scope in my house, but for the $, hard too beat.

I really like how trim the Leupolds are. How about a VX II in 3-9x33 Ultralight?

rmarshall":fv2bsx03 said:
What about a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40? Trying not to spend the rest of my gun budget!

I think the Conquest would be a great score, especially for 300.00 bucks

...I'd be sure that you can clear the oversized eyepieces of some of the scope mentioned w/o having to go to a higher mount to get enough clearance. Personally, on a small, light rifle like that I'd try & keep my weight down & as close to the center axis as possible, so I'd go w/ a 4.5X14 or 3.5X10 VX-3, or even a 2.5X8 if you really want to count oz.'s...

I would pick a Leupold 6x42 for my scope. Or maybe a fixed 4x.

If you don't see the beauty of a fixed power scope a VX-3 2.5-8x36 would be a great scope on a short action.

Oldtrader3":1gtei0bp said:
Most low rings will allow scopes up to 42mm objective diameters.

...yep, for the front objective, but w/ a 90* bolt throw the trend towards huge rear objectives really start to limit the clearance between the bolt handle & eyepiece. Having learned the hard way by mounting lots of scopes @ the shop, only to find there wasn't enough room to manipulate the bolt & in some cases, not enough clearance for the bolt to operate. Having to go back, install higher rings, & sell opened pkgs. of low ring @ a discount makes you consider things like that...

just picked a up a brand new in the box VX 2 3-9x40 for 200 bucks, maybe it will get a chance to be tried. I think it's a good scope for the money. Still might pick up a Zeiss if I can swing it.

Back