Scope suggestions for a Kimber Montana 260 Rem

I had that issue also when I bought the (2) 3-15-42 HD Conquests. The bolt handles on my Mauser and Model 70 custom rifles would not clear the eyepiece and I had to use medium rings. I always keep a couple pair of low and medium rings on hand, just for such emergencies.

rmarshall":3d4ph43y said:
just picked a up a brand new in the box VX 2 3-9x40 for 200 bucks, maybe it will get a chance to be tried. I think it's a good scope for the money.

Good scope at a good price! I put the same scope on my daughters rem 700 .260 and it has served her well.

I have two of the older VariX II's (non click windage and elevation turrets) a 3-9x40 and a 2-7x32 and I have a new Redfield Revolution 4-12 x 40. When I was looking at that Redfield, it is the same as the new version Vari X II, as far as I could tell, but a little cheaper. They are all good scopes, though the glass on the new ones is much clearer and brighter than my old ones.

I have the 2-7 on my featherweight M70 in 280 and it is a good fit for that gun. I like the new Redfield, but I've found when I go on target shooting walks with it and shoot in simulated field positions, I can't really use 12x worth of scope. I'm probably good with 6-10x as a max for the type of hunting I do, and even then the scope is usually at 4-6x while on stand.

The Leupold VX2 3x9x40 is about as Standard Scope as Leupold gets. I've ownd more then a few over the years as it was my goto scope for different rifles in the past. In fact I still have one now on a Savage 99 - 300 Sav. Reminds me I need to go shoot that gun again, it's been a while.

The 3-9x33 Leupold Ultralight with the Long range reticle sits on my 338 Fed. Kimber 84 Montana in Talley lightweight rings. It looks and balances right and shoots out to 500 yds with sufficient accuracy. I've tried a couple of other fairly light scopes on it and they look big and feel out of balance to me.

Big clunky scopes on such a trim nice little rifles grates on my soul..I would personally opt for a 3X fixed Leupold on such a gun, and Id add iron sights for use with Talley or Leupold QD mounts. At most a straight 4X Leupold and if one must have a variable then a 1x4 Leupold. I see no need at all for the popular big scopes on many of todays rifles, I have seen more big scopes lose their zero, mostly because of hard hunting conditions but mostly because too much scope extends beyons the front ring and it doesn't take much of a blow to move them off zero,...I have never felt shorted on a hunt using small scopes..

Back