Scope

owenv

Beginner
Jun 24, 2007
What would be a good scope and mount for my new dark timber rifle? It is a model 88 lever action win. 358.

I would recommend the Leupold VXIII 2.5x8. It is smaller/lighter and very bright. On 2.5x, you are ready for fast action. On 8x, you have more than enough scope for load development or 500 yd shots on game.

JD338

Antelope_Sniper":7s9dv8mq said:
Leupold VX II 1-4, or VX III 1.5-5. I have two of the former, my dad has one of the latter.

yup!

My (700 358win) wears a VXIII 1.5-5x20mm. Can't thick of a better scope for elk from say 20-200 yards. The only other scope if shots wear more like 50 to 250 yards might bet the VXIII 1.75-6 x32mm, but the 20mm just fit so perfect for size and wieght its my ticket.

I also use just one blizzerd cap to keep out water and debries. Its on the objective and is on upside down since there is clearance so when its open its flat alone the barrel with the hinge out of the way.

owenv":1vyu18u6 said:
What would be a good scope and mount for my new dark timber rifle? It is a model 88 lever action win. 358.
..................Go with the scope that matches the hunting range capabilities of the 358..... The straight tubed 1-4x20 or the 1.5-5x20 are ideal. They are light, with a lower profile, offer great FOV`s and are fast to the target.

Anything higher than a 5x for a 358 is just not necessary. You will not be or should not be, taking hunting shots at 500 yards on any game. Not at 400 yards either. The 358 is a short to medium range round meaning out to 250, maybe to 300 yards max. For hunting, it is not a 400 yard and beyond cartridge. Too much guess work with too much bullet drop in trajectory.

THe Model 88 is a pretty cool Winchester, a pity it wasn't produced longer. That 358 is not common(along with the 284win), quite a find!!

My dad hunted with a 308 M88 from 1978 I think he said until the late 90's when my younger brother got it. That 308 is deadly accurate with it's 4 grove factory barrel, I haven't loaded for it in quite some time, but it shot .5-.6 edge-edge 5 shot groups with 165 grn HRDY BTSP's (not a great hunting bullet :-( unfortunately) and 42.8 grns IMR 4895.

Most likely you already know this, but the M88 is known for the stock rails breaking along the action and mag, which makes avoiding any abuse in the brush a bit counterproductive to it's purpose. We had to replace the stock on that 308. Also, the action cams on the lever get a little stiff with use and work best with a dry graphite lube(we hunt in -10 to -30) or a light oil.

I'd love to get my hands on a 243 M88, be a great ranch rifle. In that role, any finish on the stock or metal wouldn't matter as long as it shot alright. Duracoat would fix the rest :lol: :lol:

CC

Not meaning to go off topic about the M88, my apoligies.
anything low power that will handle low light is great. I wouldn't buy one to put on there, but if you have an aimpoint it could be a fun trip to the range....

CC

My father traded a SW .44 mag. for the .358 and two very nice custom rifles from some kid who got them from his father who used to have a Wyoming hunting guide service.

The trade happend in the mid 70's. during the Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry "make my day" craze. The .44 mag. was hard to get then due to the movie so the kid could not resist the deal. Big mistake, a few years later the kid realized his loss and wanted to trade back for the rifles but it was too late, my father had already handed them down to to me.

The .358 was the guides personel saddle gun, the two custom's a .375H&H pre 64 and a K98 30-06 were given to the guide buy his clients.

I suggest the Nikon Team Primos 3x9x40 with the TDS Reticle. This is last years Monarch scope so I'm told. I like my leupolds but for $199 at SWFA you can't go wrong. Well, that is unless you want to spend a lot more money.

my 300win mag ruger MKII 77 has the leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36 i think it is a good choice for big timber/thicket hunting for elk. the 308 has a burris 1.75x5x20 good on dry days, but i have had issues in the rain and snow with the 20mm objective. it gets full of snow a lot faster than a larger objective. most of my elk have been killed with 2.5x10x44 scopes. and i still have one on my backup elk gun

Back