Scotty made me do it.

good grief guys- You've got me looking and I already have my 250.... Enablers all of you... But it is such a sweet round in some cool/nice rifles. I watch with interest. Have fun! CL

good grief guys- You've got me looking and I already have my 250.... Enablers all of you... But it is such a sweet round in some cool/nice rifles. I watch with interest. Have fun! CL

How many times have I told you about the time I passed on an Ruger RSI with a Manlicher and a K-4 Weaver for $200 :roll: :( :( :( :(

cloverleaf":2ny69gkk said:

How many times have I told you about the time I passed on an Ruger RSI with a Manlicher and a K-4 Weaver for $200 :roll: :( :( :( :(

Jeeeeze! Talk about a heartbreaker!

Well maybe some of us will help to sustain what in some ways seems like a forgotten 25 caliber with todays modern cartridges.

Cloverleaf, that one probably hurts a little, but I've been there! Sometimes the timing just isn't right when we run across some things. :(

Scotty, I checked the twist on this gun last evening, the older cut rifled barrels varied in twist rate and I was worried I was gonna have one of the one's that are slower than the 14 twist of the day.

Just used the none scientific method of a tight patch and measuring the distance of a full turn on the cleaning rod. It came in at 13 & 5/8. That should be plenty fast for the flat based 87gr speer. (y)

While I had it in the vice I checked the rifling more closely. I don't have a bore scope, but use a small adjustable necked LED light put into the chamber at an angle so I can use a magnifying glass at the muzzle end to look down the bore at all angles without looking directly into the light. The rifling on this thing is very CLEAN and SHARP as far down as I can reliably see. It's bare metal clean on lands and grooves with no pits.

Don't wanna get my hopes up too high as there's a lot of different things gotta work together for a rifle to be a shooter, but so far I don't see anything that will handicap it. (y)

Sounds great. You may be able to sneak a 100 Partition or similar in there too. Although the 87 grain Speer seems very fitting.

Can’t wait to see what it does on paper.

I’d bet you’ll be happy.
I just haven’t seen too many 250s that won’t shoot.

SJB358":25mt4e5i said:
Sounds great. You may be able to sneak a 100 Partition or similar in there too. Although the 87 grain Speer seems very fitting.

Can’t wait to see what it does on paper.

I'd feel more comfortable with a 100 grain'er.....that 87 grain in a 25 caliber will be the lowest sectional density I've ever used for whitetail, but they're supposed to work. I read where Nosler says none of their 25 cal hunting bullets will work with a twist slower than 1-12. Too long. :(

Dwh7271":25mt4e5i said:
I’d bet you’ll be happy.
I just haven’t seen too many 250s that won’t shoot.

Hope so. Bullets should soon be here, so weather permitting a few days from now I should have an idea if I'm gonna be able to work up a deer accuracy load with it!

Hmmm DrMike & Blkram talking about someone other than them enabling now that is something to think about.
First DrMike talking to me on multiple occasions about the pros for the 35 Whelen & now I own one :shock: and then Gil letting my use his Swarovski binoculars and now when I look through my Bushnell you think that you are using your naked eye :lol:.
This entire site is filled with the dreaded enablers just saying :roll:.
But I would not leave it for any reason as it has the best people on the Net :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

So Dan,

If I am such an enabler...
when are you finally going to get a pair of Swarovski's??? LOL

Gil if I could afford them I would have had them 1 day after I arrived back home :shock:!

Blessings,
Dan

Don't know how I was dragged into this discussion. I've never enabled anyone. :roll: It's that doggone Scotty that does all the enabling. Consequently, just because Dan hasn't bought Swaros doesn't mean that Gil hasn't tried!

sask boy":x53jd6z2 said:
Gil if I could afford them I would have had them 1 day after I arrived back home :shock:!

Blessings,
Dan

No worries Dan, I think we can all relate to that dilemma! LOL

For anyone on here that has never read "Shots at Whitetails" by Larry Koller . Do yourself a favor and get
a copy, It is probably still the one very best book that really
covers every facet of deer hunting........ Wonderful winter read.

Back