Scout Rifle ?

Used a red dot on that m1a scout. Worked very well.

I'm kind of surprised how many people feel so strongly negative about the scout setup.

I certainly wouldn't want to only have one gun but can definately see it's utility in the field. I think that most people if they gave it a real practical try would be surprised. It's definitely not for the average joe who shoots off the bench a dozen times a year and calls it good, or the guy who likes shooting tiny groups at long range. Take it out and try hitting steel from field positions and you will be pleasantly surprised. When engaging multiple or moving targets at <300 yards it can be very handy. Kind off like a peep sighted 30-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living here in Saskatchewan I have never really had a need for a short barreled rifle but I have owned a couple of BLRs in the 308win :wink:.
I am now been told that a BLR in the 358 maybe on the market soon and I have been given first opportunity on purchasing it (y).
It will come with 25 boxes of factory ammunition so I will likely not have to load for it. It will be a great back-up rifle for Moose hunting.

Blessings,
Dan

You're sure to love that rifle, Dan. The BLR chambered in .358 Win is a great firearm that packs a hefty punch.

Have always wanted to play with one, but too many other interests. If I take the plunge in the next 4 years, it will likely be an M1A to start...then I get to cross 2 of my list.

I have an M1A scout that shoots amazingly well with it's 1.25-4x Leupold scout scope. It will put Federal Gold Medal 168gr Sierra ammo into 3/4" groups, or Freedom Munitions 168gr Sierra matchkings into 1". With the scope, trigger, and me shooting it I'm impressed. It's a fairly heavy rifle and not one I've hunted with or played with hunting ammo in. I have other rifles I like better for hunting, but it's a fun rifle to shoot. I bought it right from a guy moving to a state where it wasn't allowed with quite bit of ammo I'm burning up from time to time.

I recently got one of the newer Ruger scout rifles in 308 with the synthetic stock. I basically bought a VX-6 1-6x (non-scout) scope and got the scout rifle with it I figure for what I paid. It I will probably hunt with some. The scope is amazingly clear and bright, but the crosshair is so thick it isn't a precision bench gun. Still it will do 1.5" without trouble. The iron sights will bust beer cans at 50yds so I left them alone. They also are pretty thick. I put a Timney trigger in the scout and it makes a really handy package. I need to remove the brake if I hunt with it, it's loud and the blast on the 16.5" 308 is extreme. I agree with others who said it's a great rifle to have when you aren't sure you need one. It's reasonably light, very handy, and pretty accurate. I could definitely see myself still hunting with this one in cover.

The biggest reason I prefer the non-scout scope on this one is familiarity and low light. The scout scope on the M1A is not great in low light compared to a good standard scope. Any rifle I hunt with I want to be able to shoot to the end of legal light when the mature critters move.

Back