Seating Depth and the 300 Weatherby Cartridge

rodell

Handloader
Dec 23, 2013
I've been on a mission to get loads for some of the barrels I plan to use this fall. The latest is the 300 Weatherby. At the same time, I wanted to know if the 300 Weatherby (in the R8) was influenced by seating depth changes considering the long freebore.

All of these images are 100 yards, 86 grains of IMR 7828 SSC and a Barnes 168 grain TTSX. The firearm is a Blaser R8, standard weight barrel. The overall lengths are shown in the pictures. Velocity was not recorded.

300 Wby 3p55.JPG
A triangular group indicates the need for a longer cartridge (less jump).

300 Wby 3p57.JPG
A "two in, one out", indicates the need for a shorter cartridge (more jump).

300 Wby 3p56.JPG
So, seating depth does make a considerable difference and the rules of thumb for analysis hold true. I had some concerns given the already long jump but even .010" makes a discernible difference. I'm ready to hunt this load.

As you demonstrated, seating depth can make a significant difference in accuracy. Looks as if you have found the node. That tightened up quite nicely. Congratulations.

Wow, very nice! Seems like there is something to it, that is for sure! Very nice shooting. That big Weatherby is a heckuva shooter.

Very nice shooting. A triangular group seat them longer and 2 in 1 out seat them shorter is no accident.

Back