She got her first bull

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
After appplying for elk in Oregon for 10 years and not drawing a bull tag, my wife decided that she wanted to burn her points and try to get a bull. She has been shooting a 284 Winchester that I built for her for a couple of years now and has gotten quite good with it.

We hunted the first weekend and saw lots of elk. She and her dad passed on three spikes in hopes of getting something bigger. We were in a new area that we had never hunted before and only been in once before. We learned a lot about the area and hope to be more successfull next time someone draws up there.

The second weekend we were able to get on a group of cows that had a nice spike in it. She decided that she didn't want to pass on a spike on the last weekend. The country we were hunting was very open rolling hills (think Dances With Wolves type country). Getting close depended on the terrane and on this particular hunt, 680 yards was about as close as we could get without being completely exposed. She had a sollid rest on a large rock and said she felt comfertable with the shot. She was shooting up a draw that forked with the elk on the point between the two forks. The wind was getting with it that day. I took my time in figureing out the wind. Near as I could tell the first 350 yards of her shot the wind was blowing down right at us. There was a bit of a transition in the wind for a little ways then at the bull it was a full on 20 mph cross wind. I wanted a shoulder shot, so I did some quick math and had her hold a foot back back from the center of the shoulder. At the shot he dropped in his tracks. She punched him right in the front half of the shoulders, half way up. The cool part was her dad was standing right there watching. He was pretty impressed. He had a tag also, but after that we neve saw another elk.

We found the bullet when we were skinning him out, it was lodged under the skin on the far side. She is shooting the 168 ABLR @ 2780 fps. It did a fantasic job. I'm pretty dang proud of her. She also took a nice buck this fall on the farm with that same rifle @ 120 yards. Also a 1 shot kill. Now that the kids are getting older, I can have my hunting partner back!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Congratulations to you and your wife... She must be a good student and have a good teacher to make that long poke on the elk. Looks like the freezer will be full. (y)

Thanks guys. I have some meat thawing out on the counter right now for some jerky.

This is the second elk she has taken at 680 yards with this rifle. She took a nice cow a year ago with it on the same ranch. I joke with her that the only time she listens to me is when she has a rifle in her hands.

jmad_81":3iberj1p said:
Thanks guys. I have some meat thawing out on the counter right now for some jerky.

This is the second elk she has taken at 680 yards with this rifle. She took a nice cow a year ago with it on the same ranch. I joke with her that the only time she listens to me is when she has a rifle in her hands.
Great job by your wife and bringing home the meat.
Also be glad she listens when she has a rifle in her hands, the way she shoots you could be in trouble. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations to your lady. She is definitely taking it to the game this fall. That is a fantastic account and two very respectable animals to her credit. You have every right to be proud of her skill.

Jake,

Congratulations to Heather, she did a fantastic job!
Maybe one day Mrs. JMad will rent out her guide to me. :)

Awesome job to the both of you!

JD338

truck driver":3a94jiv5 said:
jmad_81":3a94jiv5 said:

Great job by your wife and bringing home the meat.
Also be glad she listens when she has a rifle in her hands, the way she shoots you could be in trouble. :roll: :lol: :lol:

+1 :lol: :grin: Congrats to your wife. Must be a wonderful blessing to "have your hunting partner back". CL

Congratulations to your wife. She is pretty good with the 284 Win. How great that the two of you can share the hunting experience.

Thank you for the story and photographs :wink: that lady can just plain shoot so please congratulate her for me.
I would have to agree :wink: you definitely having your hunting partner back and a very one capable at that.
Again thank you for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

[/quote]Great job by your wife and bringing home the meat.
Also be glad she listens when she has a rifle in her hands, the way she shoots you could be in trouble. :roll: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

My first thought exactly !

Good job Jake.
Tell the Mrs congrats !

Great story, pictures, & shooting! Spikes are just goofy but delicious nonetheless!!
EE2

Thanks guys. I really enjoy taking her. I find that I enjoy taking other people as much as I enjoy hunting for myself.

JD338":33z2klv7 said:
Jake,

Congratulations to Heather, she did a fantastic job!
Maybe one day Mrs. JMad will rent out her guide to me. :)

Awesome job to the both of you!

JD338

I'm sure she would be ok with that. But if you wanting a big elk, don't waste your time or money on Oregon. If you just want an elk, there are a few good units.

Back