She's Home!

I checked the serial number before I bought it and thankfully it was exposed in one of the photos, to see if it was on the recall list and it wasn't. I agree Remington could do that today if they did it years ago.

The 35 Whelen recoil isn't too bad, it's along the lines of a 300 Win Mag to my shoulder recoil estimator.
If you use your Past recoil shield, I think you will be fine.

Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.

JD338

I could handle the recoil pretty good a few years back with about any caliber...well, except the 45-90. I got some vicious bruises from that one. However, having lost 45 pounds since then and now only 140 pounds I'm a bit more recoil sensitive but I will overcome that. I can handle the 270 Winchester pretty good so the Whelen shouldn't be too much of a problem(knock on wood).

To keep my mind off my current infirmities of the flesh, I'm going to try reloading some today. All this anxiety over the past six weeks and with the upcoming operation it's all made breathing a little difficult and I'm sure it's just the anxiety. I found an old three year old puffer(Symbicort)I had stashed in the medicine cabinet opened and full and took a couple hits from it. It seems to have helped a little. I know I shouldn't use it being that old but when you're having those problems you'll do about anything.

ColColt and OT3, I hope your impending surgeries go well and you heal quickly.
My 35. Whelen custom still has the original recoil pad and while it's fairly hard, the kick ain't all that bad. Maybe it's just a case of no sense, no feeling but I'm usually not bothered much by recoil. I shoot Ruger #1 rifles in .300 Win. Mag. with a stiff 200 gr. bullet load and all they have is that skimpy piece of rubber that call a recoil pad. My M70 .300 Mag. has a Pachmeyr Decelerator pad and it takes a lot of the ouch from that rifle.
I've found that the pad on my Remingtom 700 Classic .35 Whelen does a right fair job on the recoil so I've not had a problem with it when I do shoot it.
I think you're gonna love that Classic. I surer do like mine even though my custom is getting all the play lately.
Paul B.

This one sure belted me around even when I weighed more. It had a steel, crescent butt and was skinny at that. Due to the shape of the butt the weight of the rifle helped little. Had it been the shotgun style I don't think I would have ever sold it. I would have re-barreled it, however.

Colcolt, lifting you up in prayer my friend on this up coming surgery. That new Remington looks very good :wink: you are now an official member of the 35 Whelen family.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan-Thanks for remembering me. This Remington is probably the best looking one I've ever had. I recall my first one, a BDL in 7mm Mag back around 1970 or so, looked pretty good, but not like this one. I've got 25 rounds loaded with three different bullets and three different powders...RL-15, IMR 4064 and IMR 4895 for the 200 gr bullet. I'll have to go up and down the latter with those loads as I just had enough cases to load five each of a middle of the road load.

How long before you get the new rifle out and test driven a little?

That's a beautiful rifle. Should make a very good hunting rifle, that is for sure!

Back