shockey gold

I tried it when it was originally marketed as "Clean Shot" by Pioneer powder company. It fouled bad and was very inconsistent, despite what Jim Shockey now advertises. Just my experience. I switched over to Hodgdon's Triple 7 and have been pleased with accuracy and cleaning ever since.

Have never tried the gold,but I wouldn't pay what they want for it. I've used Hodgdon's select and also Pyrodex in my .50 cal. Hawken and my inline and I wouldn't use anything else. The clean up isn't all that bad. Hodgdon's Select shoots rather well in my 50 cal. inline.

I have used it and it is comperable to hodgedon 777. The gold coats the barrel just like the 777 and you have to swab between each shot like the 777 for best accuracy. They both clean up better than pyrodex. I have found the consistency to be great with the 50 gr sticks that are shaped kinda like a obelisk. I really see no advantage as far as cleanliness.

I use 100 grains of shocky gold sticks over TC Shockwave and 3 shot under 1 moa, out of unmodified tc encore with leupold ultimateslam scope and Talley one piece rings, are common place.

I used 100 grain pyrodex 50/50 pellets and hornady 250 gr sabot and shot 3 shot 3 to 4 inch groups. Gun just did not like combo.

Can we still buy Black Powder??? I can't find it anywere near where I live. How about the cannon shooters where do they get black powder??

Oh! I can find lots of that stuff, I have been to three different Cabelas stores in the last three months. I found Shockey Gold Bond, triple 7, Pyrodex and I think something elxe, but I want " Black Powder), not the generic stuff. Do any of you guys own cannons? Can you shoot the generic stuff in a cannon? If it is no longer available to us I will start using the other brand!!!!

I've tried the Pioneer powder in granular as well as the sticks. It was very inconsistent and did not do well when left in the gun overnite (with out a primer) during hunting season. I had 4 canisters and they ended up in my garden. With my experiences with it I never tried Shocky's . Hope your experinces are better if you go that way.

Long

Back