Shoot or Wait and Pray?

CatskillCrawler

Handloader
Jul 30, 2011
Going to Colorado soon for my first elk adventure. I, along with 5 others in the party, have either sex elk tags. I would be happy with a cow, raghorn or a mature bull. I'd love a mature bull though.

DIY hunting in the timber SW of Yampa from 9500-11000ft in the Flat Tops area. Four of our party has hunted there for the past 4 years and they have taken one or two elk total each year.

I feel inclined to pass on a cow early and hope for another opportunity later. Setting myself up for fool's lament I'm certain. I think I won't pass on a young bull if a good shot presented itself. I know if I shoot a cow I'd be happy and keep myself busy for the next few days hauling and butchering. I would also miss out on hiking/hunting for a least a day and a half in heaven.

So......hunt and hike for 5 days and maybe get a nice bull or take first meat shot and still be satisfied?

Bulls are nice, and the antlers are assuredly a trophy. However, it is hard to beat the flavour of a dry cow. I made a deal with my wife many years ago. She is very supportive of my hunting, but I wouldn't bring any trophies home. I give my antlers (and hides) away, or I sell them. (It is surprising what a good hide can be worth.) However, if you are going for the experience, then holding out for a mature bull makes sense. If the meat is the focus, then a dry cow can pretty well seal the deal.

If it really is about the experience and the opportunity to shoot a mature bull, pass on everything else. I put in for a cow tag in Montana and was fortunate to be drawn for one again. I like to eat elk and a cow is a good as it gets for me. The local that saw the herd bull I shot in Wyoming in the 90's laughed at me and commented, "now you have to eat it". It was good, but not as good as a cow or yearling.

I will be hunting with 6 Montana resident hunters (who can shoot either sex) and I know most of them will be looking for cows to fill their tags. FWIW, save the trophy bull hunt for a guided trip when you spend the big bucks and have expectations of the outfitter and guide. One in the hand is worth two in the bush...

CC, I am in the same boat as you, but I am headed to Idaho. I an shoot anything with horn on its head, and have already decided, the first legal bull gets the good news. I have a couple decent bulls, but on a DIY hunt, just the experience is worth alot and the fresh meat is a nice reminder of the hunt with your friends. In my eyes, any elk is a good elk. Passing an elk is really something that could come back to bite you in the butt. Weather, hunters, ect can happen at anytime, I would rather take the cards dealt to me then buck the system.. It is hard hunting, might as well have fun packing that backstrap.

Tag sandwiches stink!

Uncle Russel would say, "ya cant eat the horns boys....". But if you can go home happy with an unpunched tag, what the heck? Enjoy the hunt and the opportunity to do so. CL

The only elk I would ignore is a spike bull. Personally I'd prefer a cow as the meat is probably a bit better, else wait for a nice one and let the spike grow up.

Our Montana tags allow for a bull or a cow. Even though it's a guided hunt and the odds appear good per the outfitter you can be sure I'll take a cow if that's what I need to fill the coolers on the way home. Unless it's some absolutely huge bull I'll only do a European-style mount anyway so I'm not too concerned about getting the biggest one.

Self-guided hunts are tough. I've been on 3 guided hunts so far and taken one (1) cow and Dad has taken one (1) spike. I would not pass on a cow if you have one available, else there is a reasonable chance you'll be going home empty handed.

Agree with Dr. Vette - why not take a cow elk if the opportunity presents itself?

It doesn't seem like your hunting group gets more than one or two elk per trip - so just getting a cow elk is a major success. Heck, I've been TRYING to draw a doggone cow elk tag here in Washington for a few years now with no luck!

I've got some big antlers on the wall, a nice Wyoming 6x6 with a 51" spread, and they're an outstanding reminder of an incredible hunt. But... I'd just as soon take a cow now that I've got the big antlers on the wall.

Either way you'll have fun, but I'd go with the cow if the opportunity presents itself, just to fill the freezer, notch the tag and become an elk hunter.

FWIW, Guy

I can't sleep at night thinking of all the possible scenarios one could encounter. I'm like a kid on Christmas eve! I've been hunting whitetails and black bear in three states for the last 20 years, archery, rifle and muzzies, been hunting since 1978 and I think it's awesome that I still feel this much excitement getting ready for this trip. I'm thinking this won't be my last trip out west so I should probably take the first good thing that comes my way. But man.... a nice 5x5 or better yet, 6x6 would be sweeeet!

I have a two day drive from NY to Co and hopefully by then I can figure this all out. 8)

Your enthusiasm comes shining through in that post! Cool. :grin:

Enjoy the hunt! Cow. Bull. Whatever - just enjoy!

Best of luck, Guy

CC, I still get the jitters every year as the season opens. I'm awake way before I need to be, just because I can't sleep. I'm pleased to see your enthusiasm and wish you every success in your hunt. Everyone should have at least one big bull just to enjoy the experience. If he comes in to your bugle, eyes red and foam blowing as he bellows out his rage and power, there are few events more awe-inspiring; and every hunter should have that opportunity at least once.

CC, I did the same thing as you the first time out. I would suggest take what presents itself. Cows are pretty good too. You will be amazed how awsome they are when you walk up on them. Get your first elk then be picky if you want. Our last 2 hunts in CO were self guided. This year will be our 3rd. Its alot of work. Last trip, 2 of us had a cow tags which we filled. It was a great hunt even though I took a cow. No regrets. This year, bulls. Good luck

FWIW, the first bull elk I shot was with a left-over non-resident ID elk tag in 2008. (I'm an ID resident and they sell any left-over non-res tags to residents as a second elk tag @ the non-res price). I'm not picky by any means as I'm hunting for meat, so basically I went for the first bull I saw. As it turned out, it was a spike - $400 tag filled. I was very happy and the meat was great.

I agree with the above comment about "can't eat horns" and I'll add that tags taste like crap regardless of the amount of seasoning.

I've been out elk hunting twice in the white river national forest. the first time the group went 3 for 3 in the first season . 2 cows and 1 bull . the second time we went 2 for 5 in the second season bulls only . I know if I were hunting with an either sex license the cows better be careful . LOL I'm sure you'll have a great time out there . the Colorado mountains are beautiful .good luck Jim

Tags taste like crap regardless of the amount of seasoning.

:mrgreen:

Ain't that the truth!

I know if I were hunting with an either sex license the cows better be careful.

+1

I've shot a few big bulls, and several younger satellite bulls, and a growing number of cows. I do enjoy the meat from a cow or a young bull; it is far superior to a bull in full rut.

I've done a few elk hunts over the years with mostly lously luck. If I had a bull tag, all I'd see were cows and if I had a cow tag? Yup nothing but bulls. :cry: Last hunt I did here in Arizona, I had a cow tag and aw the biggest damn bull elk I've ever seen. He was huge and I'm betting serious money he'd have gone well up in any record book you could think of. You could bet your bottom dollar that I was wishing for an either sex tag, something Arizona does not do. :x
Any elk does not come easy so as you have an either sex tag, take the first one that coms along and be grateful. I'll be honest, I finally broke my jinx on getting an elk in 2010. Thirty-three years of off and on DIY hunts when I could swing the out of state tag prices or rarely draw in my home state I finally got a nice cow elk and she's tasted mighty fine. Only a few steaks left so I'll be going out with that outfitter again come December for another crack at getting an elk.
No matter the outcome though, have fun.
Paul B.

Elk of any ilk are very tasty, Paul. Congratulations on your cow elk. I consider any elk an earned trophy!

catskill, it sounds like your in the Routt National forest area. My buddy is hunting out that way on a 4000 acre ranch by invitation from the ranch owner (takes him swordfishing when he comes to florida). There are a substantial number of Elk in that area. You should do well. While your out there try to stop in the Antlers cafe in Yampa. The owner and bartenders are great people. You'll love the crazy weather changes and the scenery is awesome.

I'm getting the gist here and think it is the correct approach.

Take what I can, when I can. Enjoy it. Come back again.

I can handle that! :grin: Thanks for your inputs.

BRM - Yes, it is in the Rout Natl forest. It does look like splendid country. After elk we're headed a bit east to hunt mule deer north of Kremming. I will check out Antlers Cafe. Thanks.

If it were me, I would be happy with a big cow.
Elk hunting can be tough when the cards are stacked in your favor. DIY Elk hunting is going to be a challenge so be happy with a cow in the freezer.

JD338

Back