Shoot or Wait and Pray?

I agree. My boy and I pulled 2 coveted Bulls tags in a very difficult to draw area. He can wait for his monster. As for me if it is brown it is down. I do not care for horns. :mrgreen:

I've killed lots of elk over the years, cows and some nice bulls but no real monsters. If a monster ever steps out in from of me first I'll kill a monster but until then I will continue to kill what ever elk presents it's self cause I love elk meat.

Bill

OU812":25ufjzsp said:
I've killed lots of elk over the years, cows and some nice bulls but no real monsters. If a monster ever steps out in from of me first I'll kill a monster but until then I will continue to kill what ever elk presents it's self cause I love elk meat.

Bill

BINGO! :p

I'm in the same boat, but for Moose..Man we all work hard for our $, and weather, rain/snow etc all plays a big roll :roll: ..As for me, I well hold out for a day or 2 (weather permitting) and then hammer the first descent bull/cow I see :twisted:.Once again, it all depends on how the weather forcast holds out in my case, I don't want to spend all that time and money, and come home empty handed, I'm sure you'll do just fine, Lou :wink:

Hi again, it also depends on the area you are hunting as well..If not to many elk, I would hammer the first descent bull or cow for sure..In my case I'll be hunting Moose in Newfoundland Canada, I should see about 25-30 Moose on a weeks hunt, so I can be picky,but again, the weather forcast plays a big roll here, so it could haunt me too if i'm picky :roll: ..Once again good luck on your hunt, and play your cards right..Lou :wink:

270wsm, I am jealous. I have always wanted to hunt Newfoundland or Labrador for moose. I have drilled in Labrador a long time ago and saw some very worthy bulls there out in the tulles. Newfoundland is a special place for moose and caribou. Good luck on your hunt, I hope that you score.

Oldtrader3":3nibnftk said:
270wsm, I am jealous. I have always wanted to hunt Newfoundland or Labrador for moose. I have drilled in Labrador a long time ago and saw some very worthy bulls there out in the tulles. Newfoundland is a special place for moose and caribou. Good luck on your hunt, I hope that you score.
Thank you :) ..I've planned this trip since Dec 2011...it's coming soon :) ..I fly out on nov 17/2012 and return on the 24th...I well try my best for sure..Lou :twisted:

Good luck 270WSM. When we hunted moose in Maine i asked the same question and got the same responses as I did here. Shoot any legal bull you see. I did and feel fortunate. Newfoundland is a different story in my eyes. If you're going to see 25-30 moosies, I would be a little particular. Sounds like an awesome hunt.

Enjoy the experience! Taking a cow will NOT diminish the hunt. They IMO are by far the best red meat we have access to. We have been living on elk and deer 100% until the freezer goes empty sometime in late spring early summer. This year we hope to put two elk in the freezer.

I don't know how much a good beef ribeye cost where you live but here it is $10 - $11 per lb. I'll take the elk even if the beef was free.

Same here! Love good elk meat! Nothing beats it! Plus it is great for us, watching our girlish figures.

SJB358":2c99kcru said:
Same here! Love good elk meat! Nothing beats it! Plus it is great for us, watching our girlish figures.

From what I read on another thread, someone else on here is watching your girlish figure, Scotty. LOL

Richracer1":3728ap17 said:
SJB358":3728ap17 said:

From what I read on another thread, someone else on here is watching your girlish figure, Scotty. LOL

Ha! Guess your right buddy!

Are you ready for elk? Did my final range day today and will be packed up headed towards you in a few days. Looking forward to getting to Idaho and making some use of all those 200's you sent me!

SJB358":73lz9f02 said:
Richracer1":73lz9f02 said:
SJB358":73lz9f02 said:

Ha! Guess your right buddy!

Are you ready for elk? Did my final range day today and will be packed up headed towards you in a few days. Looking forward to getting to Idaho and making some use of all those 200's you sent me!

You should only need one maybe two, but all of the 200ABs I sent.......... I know you can shoot better than that.

Richracer1":w8hh0r6p said:
You should only need one maybe two, but all of the 200ABs I sent.......... I know you can shoot better than that.

I hope so too! I am bringing a couple extra though. Never know when the elk have heard about the 200 grain bullets in a 338 are too light. It is Elmer Keith country!

Scotty, Take some of those 275 gr Speer Hot Cores! That will make those elk quake in the boots!

Oldtrader3":13zy15v3 said:
Scotty, Take some of those 275 gr Speer Hot Cores! That will make those elk quake in the boots!

You know I almost ran with them. I have a good load that ran 2650 out of my old 338 that was very accurate. I also have tons of them on the shelf. Those will get shot eventually though. They are very mean in the Win Mag. Too many options to try Charlie. I almost forgot how much fun the 338's are.

PLUS, the M70 handles the way a rifle should. Can't wait to get it in the woods.

I am living vicariously through you guys at the moment. I really do hope that you are able to connect withthat rifle. That would be very sweet. I have killed a few elk with that Model 70 and caliber. I am rooting for you.

Back