Short barreld 30,06.

tjRoberts

Beginner
Dec 3, 2007
Had the first real test of my new ruger #1 RSI in 30,06 today.
While I can't say i am all charged up about the results, The rifle did show promise !
For example. The 1st rounds I sent down range were using a 150 grain hornady SST over 48.5 grains of H-414 and this and all the loads mentioned were lit with a CCI 200 standard primer.
The very 1st 2 were super tight under a Quarter inch. And the third opend the group to 2 inches plus.
I had several such groups during my shoot, and i think it is relevent that the groups were significantly larger in elevation than in windage.
The reason that is so clearly relevent is that In shooting only three rounds of each load accros my chrony, I discoverd that velocity difference was nearly 100 FPS with all 3 loads and the worst was 137 Feet !
So, it seems to me, that I need to find a way to get my powder to burn a little more consistantly.
With a 20 inch barrel it seems like it might be a good Idea to back off the powder charge a little, say a grain, and step up to the CCI-250 magnum primer.
The #1 action is super strong and all my loads poped out of the chamber easy and primmers all looked good , so I am not at all worried about the preasure level I am just thinking about getting more of the powder to burn before the bullet leavs the barrel.
The Hottest powder I used today was IMR-4064 , and the velocities for 3 were 2994 2902 and 2952., that is a .92 FPS spread , do you think I am on the right track.
I am doing this post with the speer manual in my lap, and I just checked and the 150 grain hot core, witch is the bullet i used with the IMR-4064, only shows a .2 difference in drop at 100 yards with a 100 FPS drop in velocity.
Mabye its time to try some other componants.
Just picked up a can of IMR-4350. Mabye that will help.
But if I can't shrink these groups down to say 1.25 it will be hard to take this really cool rifle out on hunt when I have others that shoot so much better !
any ideas ?
thanks ...tj3006

I think I will pop.
I have 1000 CCI-350 magnums , and I think I will try them with the IMR-4350 and mabye the H-414.
Thank you !
...tj3006

With the short barrel, you will have to go with a faster powder and a magnum primer will help. I've had luck with IMR 4895 in the '06.

tjRoberts":a68rpg1b said:
I think I will pop.
I have 1000 CCI-350 magnums , and I think I will try them with the IMR-4350 and mabye the H-414.
Thank you !
...tj3006

CCI 250 not 350 :lol:

My Model of 1917 .30-06 has a 21" barrel. A well worn, really old barrel... I think it's got a loose spot in it too... Oh well...

H4350, Win case, CCI 200 & 165 Nosler Partition

2748 fps average, extreme spread is only 18 fps, SD in single digits

This load is listed one grain under Hodgdon's maximum 165 gr load, and is very easy shooting. 2750 fps isn't earth-scorching, but it's a good, useful, accurate load. Might be worth trying H4350, Hogdon is very pleased with the results they've been getting, and it's recommended by them.

It's a half grain over the max shown in Nosler's data. Work up to it cautiously - but it's given no problems in my old warhorse of a .30-06. I'll let you figure out what load your Ruger should use...

Regards, Guy

As far as I know and remember IMR 4350 are 30-06 are like Nosler and Partition. I hear there are better loads but even my old 300 Wby. favored it. Oh yeah, dump the Hornady SST and go with Nosler Balistic tips or Accubonds. The shape of the SST ogave is different and requires trying different over all lengths. The Sierra Game King or Match king is no slouch either at 30-06 velocities (I didn't say that Nosler)
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Really like 57.5 with IMR 4350 and the Sierra Gameking BTHP with Fed 210 Match primer in the 06 carbine

Pops,
you are a sharp one ! It is a .250 CCI that I loaded. I did 15 with the SST 150 grain and 15 with a 165 grain speer hot core. All with loads 1 grain under max and an IMR-4350.
I also decided to pull the forstock off, and i found a spot that looks like it was rubbing on the barrel. I cut a couple of shims and taped them in front of the mounting screws. I can now move a dollar prety freely from the rear screw to about 2 inches from the muzzle. I am optimistic.

...tj3006

Varget might be another option if IMR4064 seems better than the 4350 for your short barrel. Take this with a grain a salt I have never reloaded a 30-06.

tjRoberts":1mgg41lg said:
Pops,
you are a sharp one ! It is a .250 CCI that I loaded.

...tj3006

Yeah...once in a while I get that way! :idea:

I am not a .30-06 expert by any means, but I do have a lot of experience with short barrels. I shoot Encore and Contender pistols a lot and have found that a faster powder is usually more productive than going to a hotter primer. I would say to try Varget or H4895 to see if you get more consistent velocities. 21" isn't really short, but it may make a difference. Of course, you have the magnum primers, so try that first, but if that doesn't work, I would try a faster powder.

Just my $.02, so take it as you will.

Rob

Back