Shot a few groups with the .30-338 Norma Imp today

Mike,

The Norma made Weatherby brass is the softest I've used. For the size of the case you'd think they'd beef it up a bit but it's almost like it's thinner than everything else. I hate doing case prep, trimming, etc so I try to find things that make life easier. I got away from wildcat's for a long time because of this. I didn't like buying custom dies either but it's hard to make a super fast case that isn't a wildcat. If the 230 (.742BC) Berger's hold up and I can push them 3350+fps it will be about as flat shooting as you can get unless you go to the Cheytac case. The hot .338's will catch it eventually but to reasonable ranges it will be on it's own. That's why I bought the long barrel and ordered the .30-338 Lapua Imp reamer.

IdahoCTD":1v9maxak said:
Mike,

The Norma made Weatherby brass is the softest I've used. For the size of the case you'd think they'd beef it up a bit but it's almost like it's thinner than everything else. I hate doing case prep, trimming, etc so I try to find things that make life easier. I got away from wildcat's for a long time because of this. I didn't like buying custom dies either but it's hard to make a super fast case that isn't a wildcat. If the 230 (.742BC) Berger's hold up and I can push them 3350+fps it will be about as flat shooting as you can get unless you go to the Cheytac case. The hot .338's will catch it eventually but to reasonable ranges it will be on it's own. That's why I bought the long barrel and ordered the .30-338 Lapua Imp reamer.

I suppose your observations grabbed me in part because of a recent experience with Nosler brass for a 260 Remington. Three firings (and not at maximum charges) and the primer pockets are gone. I've not had that problem with either Remington brass or Lapua brass. I doubt that I'll be buying more Nosler brass for this cartridge.

I have some Nosler brand 300wm brass that I've shot in my 6.5-300wm but only once or twice so I can't say if it's good or not yet.

That's sorta odd as I've been using Nosler for my 264 and 338. Both loads have to be in the 62-63k range or so. I've not lost a pocket yet after many firings. I will keep watching though. It has been very tough brass in those two applications.

I have been using Nosler cases in a couple of rifle calibers for handloading. These are: .257 R and 9.3x74R but I have had no issues with primer pockets through several reload cycles.

This is the first time I've observed this. I do use a lot of Norma brass, and I push it hard on several of the cartridges. It has served me well without fail under such conditions. This lot didn't hold up well at all.

DrMike":3r9par19 said:
I suppose your observations grabbed me in part because of a recent experience with Nosler brass for a 260 Remington. Three firings (and not at maximum charges) and the primer pockets are gone. I've not had that problem with either Remington brass or Lapua brass. I doubt that I'll be buying more Nosler brass for this cartridge.

This just begs the question....Why can't everyone make brass as tough as Lapua? Most people would gladly pay a bit more to have their brass last as long as it can. Lapua brass is actually cheaper in many instances by the time you figure in the cost/reload because they last so long. 2-3 reloads in unacceptable no matter the case IMO and when the cases are 3.00+ it's not cool at all.

Back