shoulder bump

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I was not able to shoulder bump the 7mm Magnum Nosler brass with the Redding Type S Match full length resizing bushing die. I screwed it in as far as it can go till it has a little firm contact with the ram. Still at chamber shoulder size of 2.112". I also tried with a RCBS full length sizer, still the same. Both are screwed all the way down. Does this case need a body die to bump the shoulders?

If the dies have a bumping feature it's very easy to get them down a little further if you take a little Material off the top of your shell holder. I keep several shellholders around that have about .010 removed from the top just for situations like this.
I removed that much material by holding them against the side of a grinding-wheel that was pretty smooth.

Went back to the bench and started again with the die in the highest position, and in increments until I made contact with the shell holder, so I screwed it in about a quarter turn and it was a little tight there, but it worked there at .002 bump back. Thanks

This is what I don't like about camming over presses.... in effect you're stretching all the components to get that last little bit of shoulder bump. The other thing I like about using a shaved shell holder in a situation like this is a lot of times you can actually feel that last little bit of shoulder bump.... and if you have to adjust your die based on how hard or soft the brass is every time you adjust it just a tiny bit gives you a very positive difference in headspace.

I use the Redding type s die for my 280 Ai and had the same issue.
I shaved my shell holder down with 400 grit sand paper on a known flat surface.
took a while but it's perfect every time.

For those who use sizing dies that index off a hard stop (die to shell holder), who want to be able to make simple and repeatable headspace adjustments..... Redding makes sets of graduated shell holders in many calibers for this purpose. What is nice about these...is once you know the "ideal" shell holder that will produce the exact headspace you want for your rifle .... you note that ... and simply screw size die to make contact with the "ideal" shell holder for repeatable set ups.

Example set

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31999 ... ter-magnum

Again, this is a potential solution for hard stop indexing set ups ... not necessarily for cam over set ups, and certainly not for set ups where no contact is made between the shell holder and die.

Shaving is also a popular method if more (rather than less) bump is needed. The shaved holder then becomes dedicated to that rifle, or at least it would for me.

Back