Silencer on hunting rifles?

A Federal stamp is around $200 and the suppressor is going to be another $800 or more.
I guess it would depend on what you are trying to accomplish.

JD338

I know a lot of guys with suppressor S, to a man none of them regret it, and all have purchased more. I'm waiting for my SBR to go thru and then going to get a couple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they were legal in Canada, I would have suppressors on any of a number of my rifles, I do believe. At the least using them for range work.

I'm planning on getting at least three. One for 22lr, to be used on my ruger 22/45 for discreet small game hunting, a direct thread multi cal for my ARs and hunting rifles, and a thunderbeast ultra 9 for my long range target rifles. Hopefully I can start getting them this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can these be installed on a woman ????? Wouldn't everyone need two ? Mother in Law and ????
Ooooops, hope YH doesn't see this and come hunt me down with that big .348! :lol:

Yes. The rifles I've shot with suppressors were wonderful. Don't own one myself but am very much looking forward to suppressing a couple of my rifles and probably two handguns.

BTW - it's a common practice to buy one suppressor - say in .30 cal - and use it on multiple rifles - say a .308 Win and a .223/5.56 rifle... Works better than you might imagine.

Guy

I'm not too familiar with rifle silencers but I have loaded pistol ammo for a friend who uses a silencer. I have been told that velocity has to stay below roughly 1180FPS for the silencer to work properly. Does this also apply to rifles? If so, range would drastically be reduced.

I'd like to have one. Not sure it's worth the hassle associated with it. If they drop suppressors from the NFA I'd snag one in a heartbeat.

I've shot a couple of high powered rifles so equipped- still pretty loud but well below the threshold of hearing damage for outdoors. Pretty much standard equipment in most of Europe for a hunting rifle.

The recoil reduction would be worth it on the bigger stuff IMO.
Spotting the shot would be good too.

It is definitely worth it. I used a suppressor on my 6.5 Creedmoor for this past years deer. The cost is high but its a one time thing. Current rifle suppressors are very durable, light, and versatile.

Thanks for all of the feed back guys! I hate to say it, I probably need to play the responsible adult card :shock: Did I just say that?
Keith

Saving your hearing (and that of your shooting partners) is the responsible thing to do, Keith.

diverdown":3g83kcc2 said:
I'm not too familiar with rifle silencers but I have loaded pistol ammo for a friend who uses a silencer. I have been told that velocity has to stay below roughly 1180FPS for the silencer to work properly. Does this also apply to rifles? If so, range would drastically be reduced.

You've got your subsonic stuff and your supersonic stuff.

With subsonic, it's very, very quiet because there is no bullet "crack" and the suppressor has taken care of the muzzle blast.

With supersonic (standard velocity) rifle ammo, the suppressor still takes care of the muzzle blast, but the supersonic "crack" of the bullet is quite audible.

It's common to fire supersonic ammo from a suppressed rifle. Even though the crack of the bullet can't be muffled, the muzzle blast is greatly reduced. Makes it much more pleasant to shoot, and in a tactical sense, makes it much more difficult to locate the shooter.

I've used suppressors a fair bit on AR-15 & M-4/M-16 rifles with full velocity 5.56 ammo - and they work great!

Same for .308 bolt action & semi-auto rifles.

Even though the ammo is supersonic, the suppressor still helps tremendously.

Regards, Guy

Grabbing the magazine because the barrel was so HOT after a bunch of full-auto shooting!

Suppressed 5.56, full-auto, with full velocity ammo. Love shooting that little rascal... :)

Ear protection worn because of other, un-suppressed firearms on the range. My rifle was quiet.

Guy

"Worth it?" To me, yes! To save my (already damaged) hearing, reducing report and, to a degree, reducing muzzle flip.

I use one on my .308 Win. and .300 Blackouts. Even with supersonic ammunition, it reduces the report at the muzzle. It also seems to befuddle the animals as to the direction the sound came from.

George

You guys have convinced me that a silencer is worth it. My problem is that I need to be financially prudent. I will be getting married in 6 months as well as trying to buy a house in the not so distant future. Sadly I have not won the lottery yet or located the "money tree".
Keith
P.S. lots of things to dream about, just don't have money to cover them all. :cry:

Cut $1000 from the wedding expenses (most of them are just extravagances) and buy your can. Simple.

George

My Buddy from Arizona just left this morning and we were talking about this issue. He advised that he is thinking of installing a silencer on a couple of his hunting rifles including his AR15 in the 6.8.
Mike advised that it is not legal in all of the states yet and the cost is close to $1,000.00 :eek:.

Blessings,
Dan

They are legal in far more places (for possession and hunting) than not:

map-legal-usa.jpg

As for cost, you can spend as little as $250 or as much as $10000 (or more) for a rifle.

You can spend as little as $50 or as much as $3000 (or more) for a scope.

The suppressor will last a lifetime if not used on a full-auto and will save your hearing.

George

Back