single shot

I toted my Number One Varminter .220 swift in New Mexico earlier this month predator calling and ran unto one unpleasant characteristic of the Number Ones. That is the lever easily pops open if you snag the lever release on your pack straps or jacket pocket. I did both and lost one round of ammunition somewhere in Mule Canyon.

Jamilla. I have a small collection of Ruger #1 rifles ranging from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. The three big bores are .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery and the .416. I don't shoot them anymore due to shoulder problems and will most likely sell them off. I might keep the .375 as I have a neat cast bullet load for the rifle that is accurate without causing pain. Puts recoil in the area of a stiff loaded 30-06. 8)
Regarding the Dakota, I would love to have one in 7x57, a cartridge I'm getting to like more and more and which my shoulder absolutely loves. From what I understand some had a problem with the firing pins breaking id dry fired. Whether that has been fixed or not, I don't know. Never have shot one but I did get to hold and shoulder one in .270 and it was love at first handling.
Paul B.

I've had a Ruger #1 and really liked it. I thought the fit and finish was good (but not great) and it exhibited a problem that is somewhat common among number 1's in that groups would start opening up with each additional shot in a sitting. (Because of the way the forearm is attached, it can pressure the barrel and start to "string" shots. I could shoot great 3 shot groups with my #1, but never good 5-shot groups and the groups would get progressively worse with each shot thereafter unless I let the barrel cool quite a bit.) I played around with a couple of the common fixes, but couldn't get the problem to completely go away, so sold that rifle. It wouldn't have been an issue with a large bore rifle where you don't normally shoot that much in a single sitting, but my #1 was a varmint rifle and I needed the repeatability. I'd be happy to own another #1, but I'm with Fotis on this -- given the choice between a Dakota and #1, I'd choose the Dakota in a heartbeat.

Bruce MC and maverick2

thank you for the heads up in regards to your experiences. Much appreciated

Paul,

the 275 Rigby, as we prefer to call it in the U.K. is one of my favorite calibers. I think Scotty got one for his son, nice caliber.

Dr Mike and Jim---PLEASE, dont encourage her lol

Best Regards

Jamila

I'm a little curious as to why the 9.3X74R over the 9.3X62 since the 9.3X62 has a little more velocity to work with?
No doubt the .375H&H will out perform them both.

truck driver,

it is more the rifle than the cartridge sir. the cartridge;s will deliver basically the same of everything. I actually prefer the 64 to the 62 for reasons I mentioned earlier and if not the 64, then the 375.

I will mention this on the open forum, very politely and without "outing" any of the naysayers. YES, I was very lucky to have been adopted into a successful family who have, beginning with my great grandfather, worked hard and have enjoyed some degree of success which allows me to consider rifles like the Dakota. Please let us stay focused on the question at hand--Ruger or Dakota, and not what my family has or does not have, thank you,

It is however very possible my friend will get the rifle Fotis posted earlier on this thread ( the link ) and I thank you Fotis, as I think she would be very happy with that rifle.

Best Regards

Jamila

p.s. I am vacationing with family now so will not be able to respond for a few days. Also, my parents have ask me to wish everyone on the forum --Happy Holidays----

AH, Thanks for your response to my question. I'm not familiar with anything above a 35 Whelen and as said was curious about the choice of caliber.
Have a great vacation with your family and a Happy New year.

Rodger, nothing wrong with the old 9.3X74R. It was designed for single shots and double rifles. That large bullet travelling at modest velocities still gets the job done. I'm definitely pleased with my 9.3X64, but I wouldn't turn down a 9.3X62 should the right one find its way into my hands. However, if I was looking at a single shot, out of a sense of history, I would consider a 9.3X74R.

I've always heard the 9.3x74R was what the Germans settlers used to good effect on all game in Africa. Was easy to get quality rifles and the SD available was excellent for penetration and killing ability. A 286 grain bullet around 2250-2300 seems pretty formidable, even in today's world of big jugged magnum sorta cases.

J, hope you have a great holiday!

Worth noting - that the Ruger Number One in .375 seems to have a much thicker, heavier barrel than does the 9.3 version.

The 9.3 felt really good in hand, and I was considering it, when I stumbled across the .375 that has come to be such a favorite of mine. It's not that the .375 feels bad, it's more like the 9.3x74 felt even better...

Guy

I have owned quite a few #1's and liked them all, but the Weatherby bug overcame them. I wouldn't have any qualms about getting more of the Rugers at all, if I needed them.

Guy Miner":2pdisffy said:
Worth noting - that the Ruger Number One in .375 seems to have a much thicker, heavier barrel than does the 9.3 version.

The 9.3 felt really good in hand, and I was considering it, when I stumbled across the .375 that has come to be such a favorite of mine. It's not that the .375 feels bad, it's more like the 9.3x74 felt even better...

Guy

Jamila,

this is worth noting since you last post indicated your gifting this to a woman.

I would think a 9.3x74R would be a cool rifle for a single shot enthusiast. I like those #1's a bunch just never owned one. They are solid.

I'd think a #1 would handle modern sorta loads well.

Had a Blaser K-95 in 300 wsm quite a number of years back. Wish I'd never sold it :(

Of the two choices, I'd go with the Dakota if I had the scratch and those were my choices.

Whether it's the Ruger or the Dakota, all I know is that I've made it my New Year's resolution to find a way to get on Jamila's Christmas present list... :grin:

maverick2":3h2v2qu8 said:
Whether it's the Ruger or the Dakota, all I know is that I've made it my New Year's resolution to find a way to get on Jamila's Christmas present list... :grin:
I'll take her friendship, which she has displayed to me, over material possessions.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

maverick2":3jolazbi said:

Vince, of course your right and I am sure maverick2 would also agree with you------But, I love the above post, it made me laugh and in the manner it is intended------

maverick2, --me too, LOL

Yes.
You are correct. :)
How one perceives a written missive is often dependant upon the mood.
I never thought he was actually trying to get material things from Jamila. At least I hope not. It's just that I value friendship, love, and companionship over material things.
I know, as I'm sure we all do, people that could be kings or paupers. I treat them all the same for each has a value and a lesson to teach.
No offense intended.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Europe":3733naon said:
maverick2":3733naon said:

Vince, of course your right and I am sure maverick2 would also agree with you------But, I love the above post, it made me laugh and in the manner it is intended------

maverick2, --me too, LOL

I have known "A" for several years now so I feel comfortable knowing, that she will know, my intent here.

Maerick2 and Europe, forget "J", I want on "A's" christmas list (-;

Back to the point of the thread. I love the Dakota rifles but after looking at the link posted by Fotis and Guy's comments, I think I would get the 74R Ruger.--------and if she does not want it Jamila, let me know and I will take it off your hands (-:

Back