Smith & Wesson M&P AR 15 Rifle

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Yesterday I went to our local gun show with no intention of purchasing anything than possibly powder or primers if I found a deal. Two hours later I walked out with a S&W AR 15 Rifle. The rifle was run through the S&W performance center and after handling it and finding out what was done to it I purchased it. (Always needed an AR) I know there are other members who own AR's and I'd like to know what you've put on them for optical sights. This rifle has an excellent flip down rear peep but I'm looking for glass. My buddy uses an Eotech sight for his AR and I've also seen full size rifle scopes on them. I want to keep size and weight to a minimum. Any thoughts?

I'm definitely watching this thread as this is new territory for me. I picked up a S&W AR15 recently and I want to put some sort of glass on it. It has not received the attention it deserves ... yet.

I'm with Mike, watching with interest.
I like the S&W M&P AR15 and plan on getting one.

JD338

Trijicon AGOG TA31RCO-M150CP-G

Has a BDC reticle for the factory 5.56 NATO round, can be used with both eyes open, or closed, battle proven, and visible to see the reticle at night as is. Plus is very compact, 100% water proof, and has a mounting plate for a halo sight built into the rear of the optic, etc. etc. etc.

I have a Leupold vx2 3x9 on my Windham SRC I just got. I used the Leupold Mark2 mount for it. I have no complaints so far.

I highly recommend the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x as the eye relief is set up perfectly for use on the AR-15 rifle.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-4x20-Mark-AR ... 60889.aspx

It's fairly compact. The eye relief is great. The illuminated Firedot SPR reticle is excellent for either fast, up close work, or for popping silhouettes at 300+ yards. I've found the bullet-drop-compensator works great with standard 55 grain ammo. Also, it's priced right, and until early October there's a $50 rebate/promotion.

I used this setup on my "patrol rifle" as a cop, and it worked superbly. I'd used the EOTech before, on SWAT, and found this Mark AR to be a more versatile choice.

Left handed buddy of mine shooting it:

Lots of photos thrown in, to show the compact nature of the scope. It really works well. I carried it real-world as a cop, and have also used it as a range toy and even for coyote hunting. For me, for my AR, it's pretty close to perfect.

Regards, Guy

I really like the vortex PST 1-4. At 1x it's as good as a red dot and at 4x it will keep you on steel out to 3-4 hundred yards.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... le/reticle

ef6ce3e17a99f6c2fc3b0ec52e6fc421.jpg

Dr Mike- how are you able to own an AR15? I didn't think they were allowed in Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful, the are addictive. So easy to customize and lots of caliber options.

TheBear_78 - yes, there are some great options with these low-powered scopes, intended specifically for the AR-15... And I agree, for general purpose, they work much better for me than the EOTech.

EOTech was awesome for inside a building, where speed counted more than magnification. But outdoors where the range could change from 15' to 300 yards in a heartbeat, give me the little scope.

Guy

Guy, looked at the Leupold scope on Midway. Price is right. What base did you use? I was told by a number of AR owners that there are so many ways to set it up that you need to give it a lot of thought and being that I'm not going to be building searching anymore you're set-up looks very practical. I know I'll have to make sure the scope bell clears the rail so height of the mount will be important. Anybody else with thoughts on mounts?

You'll need a higher set up just for cheek weld purposes. There are several very good one pc mounts. The Burris pepr, warne, vortex, and leupold are all about the same height and work great. They are also fairly easy to remove and remount with very minimal shift in zero.

The above rifle has the Burris pepr.

I have several and while not a ton of difference between them I think the warne is as good for the money as any.
8b13044375fd37348e93bcab40703bae.jpg

Guy Miner":1ui99qb1 said:
DrMike":1ui99qb1 said:
Magazine restriction (5 rd) and restricted licensure.

A five round AR-15... So sad... :( Some things just aren't right...

Alas, politicians (whether Canadian or American) endeavor to appear knowledgeable and proactive. :? Seeking to protect Canadians from themselves, they decided that black rifles look dangerous, so they restricted what can be employed as accoutrements and who can utilize these dangerous weapons. Were you aware that these rifles can hold "hundred clip bullets" and shoot "1,000 rounds a minute?" Fortunately, elected officials have ensured that deranged individuals intent on mayhem who insist on firing these things indiscriminately will have to pause to change their magazines frequently. At least, we don't have a "bullet button" ban.

DrMike":3fc8b8xk said:
Guy Miner":3fc8b8xk said:
DrMike":3fc8b8xk said:
Magazine restriction (5 rd) and restricted licensure.

A five round AR-15... So sad... :( Some things just aren't right...

Alas, politicians (whether Canadian or American) endeavor to appear knowledgeable and proactive. :? Seeking to protect Canadians from themselves, they decided that black rifles look dangerous, so they restricted what can be employed as accoutrements and who can utilize these dangerous weapons. Were you aware that these rifles can hold "hundred clip bullets" and shoot "1,000 rounds a minute?" Fortunately, elected officials have ensured that deranged individuals intent on mayhem who insist on firing these things indiscriminately will have to pause to change their magazines frequently. At least, we don't have a "bullet button" ban.

The whole concept of gun control isn't about denying weapons, or restricting so called mass shooters.
It's about control of the masses. Plain and simple.
The "Governments" that have weapons make subjects of those who don't have them.
Like it or not, the U.S. Constitution is under siege. The 1st, and 2nd Amendments are being attacked. When one Amendment Falls, the rest are sure to follow.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I ended up ordering the Leupold Riflescope pictured on Guy's rifle from Midway. Price was definitely right. The Eotech looked real good at first but further thought indicated that it wouldn't be practical for what I'm going to use the rifle for. I looked all over for a suitable mount and found a Leupold Mark II mount from Cheaper than dirt for an excellent price ($86.00). Most other outlets had it listed for over $100.00. I saw some mounts priced astronomically ($450.00) and after reading their reviews felt the Leupold would be fine. I'm getting there.

Good deal. I think mine is a Nikon mount. It was whatever was hanging on the shelf at the local gunshop. Looked decent. Works great!

Best of luck with the scope, I hope you're as happy with it as I am.

Guy

I have several ARs and several different optic arrangements on them. My favorite setup is very similar to Guy Miner. I have a Leupold VXR 3-9 in the Leupold mount.

IMG_20160109_193626526_zps36gqy34w.jpg

Back