Smoke/fires 24

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
We are up to four fires in Oregon that are currently burning, not contained and have broken the 100,000 acre mark. Our favorite Chukar hunting area over near Huntington has been wiped out. No idea where the birds have gone or if they got cooked. There are 100 fires currently burning in the state. Several of them are over 50,000 acres as of today. So far only a couple of homes have burned but quite a number of structures have been consumed.
Nearest fires are about 30 miles away.
Looking to the east off our deck. The wind shifted about 1/2 hour ago, prior to that you couldn’t see the hill. Snow picture is from April for comparison.
Just now started hearing thunder, but no rain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8770.jpeg
    IMG_8770.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 11
We have heavy smoke in this area and multiple fires around. However, I don't think we have as much trouble as you describe in Oregon and Washington. Here's pulling for you all to stay safe.

The base of the mountains are only about 12 miles from my house and you can barely see the outline of the mountains. Super smokey today.

The Province of Alberta evacuated Jasper last evening. Ten thousand residents and fifteen thousand visitors to the Park. There is no access from Banff due to fire on both sides of the Athabasca River and blocking the Icefields Parkway, and Highway 16 to Hinton and Edmonton are shut down due to fires east of the townsite. The only route out was west toward BC, and BC emergency services are telling Albertans there is no accommodation because of our own fires. People leaving Jasper are having to go to Kamloops and then east to Calgary, or all the way to Prince George and back to Grande Prairie. I guess that accounts for the increase in traffic we are seeing through my own hometown. We lived in Jasper for two years and still have friends who were there. One hundred seventy fires burning in Alberta, mostly in the north. So far, our fires are not immediately having an impact on us, though the smoke has been bad a few times. The lack of moisture is certainly humbling. Witnessing a smaller than normal snowpack last winter, I anticipated that this could be a problem.

Be safe and stay prepared.
I’ll be saying a prayer or three for you.

Vince

Good to see that it is clearing for you. Smokey here today. I just heard the report of 297 fires started in the past seven days in the Prince George fire district. New fire started Saturday outside of Fort Saint John. Don't know that it is worse than last year, but we are still witnessing plenty of fires. The news reports that 87% of these are from lightning strikes.

We spent last summer under a blanket of wildfire smoke from Canada. I feel for you guys that live with it each year.

Back