Snap Caps.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Wasn't sure which forum to post this under.

Thought I'd pass along a little trick I've done for a while now that has worked out well.

I don't worry a bit about dry firing modern rifles when I'm working on, or testing triggers.10 times, 30 times. Doesn't hurt them in my view. However if I'm working on a trigger that is requiring I keep going back to it testing, or on an older rifle, I like to give myself a little insurance.

I just take the eraser out of an old pencil, they can even be wore down to nothing because there's a good hunk left in there yet if you peel back the aluminum top that holds them.

Clean the primer pocket, then take a small bastard file or any file really and rub around the sides of the eraser until it fits in the primer pocket. Put a small amount of contact glue or super glue around the outside and press it into the primer pocket. Take a pocket knife and cut off the excess even with the case head. You can rub some sandpaper over the case head if it still needs to be made more flush.

Works well. Gives the firing pin a cushioned resistance to drive into.

From left to right. 35 Remington I just put together for a recent trigger job, and a well used 308, and 30-06.

Most recent issue of "Rifle" magazine just covered this very topic. G. Sengel (I think ) writes a light gun smithing column each issue. He suggested using a piece of old tire tread in a similar manner. CL

cloverleaf":14m32nha said:
Most recent issue of "Rifle" magazine just covered this very topic. G. Sengel (I think ) writes a light gun smithing column each issue. He suggested using a piece of old tire tread in a similar manner. CL

I can see that would work as well. Only thing is erasers are much easier to come by as not everybody has an old tire behind their shed.

I got the idea probably 2 yrs ago when at the range. A guy set up and and pulled this thing out of the chamber. I asked him what's that? He told me it's a snap cap and showed me what it does. I liked the idea and thought well heck I can make something to accomplish the same thing easy enough.

Cool trick ... I used black silicone glue that I squeezed into the primer pockets, wiped flat & waited until dry ... worked good for me.

Neat idea! That's using your noodle! When dad was teaching us boys to first learn to handle rifles, he made up 6 or 8 "snap caps" for us to learn to cycle, trigger squeeze, cycle, etc. He "hammered" a lead slip-shot sinker in the pocket and made it flush,but I don't remember how he did it..I made some in 308 win for my buddy's son to learn with.
But after a couple uses the lead is dimpled and it isn't "self healing" and able to be used multiple times like rubber or something.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 385
hunter24605":pl66bxr8 said:
Neat idea! That's using your noodle! When dad was teaching us boys to first learn to handle rifles, he made up 6 or 8 "snap caps" for us to learn to cycle, trigger squeeze, cycle, etc. He "hammered" a lead slip-shot sinker in the pocket and made it flush,but I don't remember how he did it..I made some in 308 win for my buddy's son to learn with.
But after a couple uses the lead is dimpled and it isn't "self healing" and able to be used multiple times like rubber or something.

Yep, the rubber does a good job at trying to conform back to it's original state. That 30-06 case probably has 60-80 dry firings on it easy, maybe more. Used it working on multiple 30-06 triggers.

That one is getting hard and packed from all the hits into it. I haven't tried it yet but I'm quite certain when they get to that point, all a person would have to do is take a hand torch on low, or a lighter, and while keeping the flame off the rubber, make numerous sweeping passes back and forth until medium heat is built back into the rubber. That should soften things right back up for a whole bunch more uses.

ShadeTree":2fzwmt4g said:
cloverleaf":2fzwmt4g said:

I can see that would work as well. Only thing is erasers are much easier to come by as not everybody has an old tire behind their shed.

I got the idea probably 2 yrs ago when at the range. A guy set up and and pulled this thing out of the chamber. I asked him what's that? He told me it's a snap cap and showed me what it does. I liked the idea and thought well heck I can make something to accomplish the same thing easy enough.

Yup- I made a couple for my daughter, years ago, using erasers. cause that's what I had. I suppose the tire rubber is a little more impact resistant. CL

Back