Snowy Pheasant Hunt

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Had a wonderful day at the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club near Ellensburg Washington. The bird seasons are closed, but private clubs like this can still offer legal hunts. They're not particularly challenging, but they're fun. My son and I enjoyed watching Maverick the GWP work. He's pointing well, only flushed one bird by accident, and I managed to hit it at longish range. All the others held tight until I flushed them. He made five retrieves! Gets rich praise for each retrieve. He worked hard on that skill last summer and is pretty good at it now.

HlMgHNlh.jpg

My shotgun was the 12 gauge over and under Browning Citori. My son used the much lighter & handier 20 gauge Ithaca side by side.

It was a great day!

Sounds and looks like it was a wonderful day afield. There is very little better than hunting over an good bird dog. In your case you have the additional satisfaction of training the dog.

Great to see the fruits of hard work and dedication are paying off for you Guy.. I hope that you have many more successful bird hunts to share... Thanks for sharing. (y) :grin: Rol

mjcmichigan":38hsqk1u said:
Beautiful day to enjoy with your son and pooch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weather was wonderful. It's been snowing for days, even lightly this morning. But by mid day, the temp was mid 20's, the sun was out, there was nearly no wind... OUTSTANDING! Even just walking after the dog I worked up a bit of a sweat, and was dressed pretty lightly. Great time with my son and the dog.

Guy

Looks as if the pup is developing quite well. He appears to enjoy his work.

Guy Miner":a30ij6rf said:
mjcmichigan":a30ij6rf said:
Beautiful day to enjoy with your son and pooch!

Weather was wonderful. It's been snowing for days, even lightly this morning. But by mid day, the temp was mid 20's, the sun was out, there was nearly no wind... OUTSTANDING! Even just walking after the dog I worked up a bit of a sweat, and was dressed pretty lightly. Great time with my son and the dog.

Guy

Good to see on all fronts! Glad to see you had the opportunity. CL

Thanks all. It was a good day, a good hunt.

When adult sons bless their father with a day out of their busy lives... It is very well received.

Guy

I have to say I am a bit jealous!
I take a day hunting with a dog over shooting deer from a box-stand any day!

Hardly any small game here anymore, so I have to take my pleasure from post like this and dream...
Love to see how your dog developes!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Guy Miner":2b2w3dhr said:
Thanks all. It was a good day, a good hunt.

When adult sons bless their father with a day out of their busy lives... It is very well received.

Guy
So looking forward to it! Oldest has 2 years of fellowship to go, then he can go in full time practice and get back to enjoying breaks from work.. youngest has 2 jobs.. but maybe this year..wish my wife would hunt with me...

1100 Remington Man":20ayh2r8 said:
Looks like some deep snow there Guy, nice picture.

It's been snowing quite a bit. I think there was about 10" of fresh, soft snow on the ground where we were hunting. Considered wearing gaiters to keep the snow out of my boots, but didn't bother. No problem. If I was going to be out there all day, I'd have had the gaiters on for sure. :)

Going snowshoeing in a bit. Will be up in the hills at higher elevation and I'm expecting the snow to be several feet deep.

Guy

Guy good to see Maverick is turning into a good hunting dog. He's made a lot of progress. Good work.

Back