Solid 22 under $400

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
Can anyone recommend a solid,reliable, and accurate 22 for under $400 USD? Open sights would be nice, but it will be getting the new Zeiss Conquest rimfire that is coming out.

Not sure if they come under $400 but a CZ 452 or 455 would be excellent. My LH 452 is very accurate and I highly recommend it, if you do a search on them the vast majority of reviews are very good and their owners love them.

gerry":3dxkws7m said:
Not sure if they come under $400 but a CZ 452 or 455 would be excellent. My LH 452 is very accurate and I highly recommend it, if you do a search on them the vast majority of reviews are very good and their owners love them.
+1. I got my trainer for around $350 I believe. It shoots more accurately than I can, looks terrific, and the open sights are great. A really well-built little rifle.

The Ruger 10/22 is dead nuts reliable and scary accurate for a semi-auto. It also has more after market parts than all other 22 LR rifles combined.

Look around for a Marlin 880 SQ (I think thats the correct designation....) Dang things are way accurate. Far as that goes< wouldnt trade my Savage model 93 22Mag for a CZ- no way. Thats just me. CL

I have a Model 93 Savage .22 WMR. It is a very accurate rifle but does have some quirks. Not going to sell my Savage but I would like to have a 452, 455 CZ rifle.

I sold my 10/22 awhile back, and was looking at the CZ, but heard really good things about the Zastava Z5, and bought it brand new for $279 CDN. No plastic parts whats so ever, and very smooth bolt, walnut stock, very rich blueing, and deadly accurate! I shoot the cci stingers out of mine, and I can tear out the bulls eye @100yds :twisted: ..Mine wears a simmons 3x9x40mm with target turrets.
Many compare the Zastava Z5 to the CZ, and I agree. Hope this helps..Lou
Zastava Z5 .22lr

That's a sweet looking rifle.
I hadn't seen those. Have to see if they're available here, even though I'm kind of a CZ junkie. :lol:
Dewey

I have to recommend my all-time favorite rifle. Not my favorite rimfire. My favorite rifle. Ever.

The Marlin 39A.

I believe it's still advertised as the oldest continuously produced rifle in America. It's worth every penny of what they ask, particularly an older one. Accurate. Reliable. Feel GREAT in hand.

Yes, I like mine better than my custom built .308 etc... It's a mighty fine rifle, not just a good .22 rimfire.

Guy

One of the most accurate rifles I ever shot was a Marlin 39A. The rifle was old; it showed a lot of hard use. The shop sent it to the range with me to verify that it shot reasonably well. They sent me with some spare Ely ammunition, some Remington and several other partial boxes that were laying around. With the Ely, it delivered ten-shot groups of 0.1 inches at 40 yards. The other ammunition wasn't nearly as good--around 0.5 inches at 40 yards. The old rifle was a family keepsake; but, man did it deliver.

I've wanted one of the 39A's for a long time. They are pricey now. Thinking I might get a little Henry. Those seem to be pretty solid rifles as well and their price seems affordable. I wouldn't turn down a decent Marlin though.

That marlin looks pretty as hell. Dare I ask what they are going for right now?

Back