Solid base bullets......new again

KYODE

Beginner
Oct 6, 2004
what are the expansion characteristis of the reintroduced solid base bullets?.........are they tougher than balistic tips?.........will they expand in lower velocity applications at long range, or in rifle caliber handguns(encore, contender etc)?

i'm old enuff to remember em........but wasn't really reloadin/shootin as much back then. :wink:

I can only speak from my very limited experience with the spitzer solid base boat tail. I loaded up 50 rounds of 120 gr at an MV of about 3370fps in the 7mmremmag in the late 80's. Took a nice pronghorn with two of them. Turned out that one would've been sufficient. The first shot was at about 100 yds with the animal facing me. Recovered the bullet against the pelvis. Perfect mushroom and was about 80 grs. Second shot broadside through the ribs.

My experience with the ballistic tips with the 7mmremmag is that they have exploded on impact at distances from 150 to 375 yds. I was thinking of using a 165 gr BT in my .308 on whitetail in Louisiana this year. Maybe the lower velocity will keep them from fragmenting.

I'll be interested in other's experiences.

jd

The solid base bullets were my favorites for deer until they were discontinued. Last year when they became available again I used the 150gr in my 308Win to take eight deer. They are just as I remembered them, an excellent bullet.Rick.

I've used the 120 grain solid bases out of my 25-06 on a couple of blacktail deer and I'm sticking with them when I can get them.

Back