Some winter practice

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Headed over to my gun club today and did some practice with a couple of rifles at 100, 200 and 300 yards. Yes, I shot the .30-30 at 300 yards, no problem. :) And the .30-06 of course, performed superbly. Can't really ask better of these two no-nonsense hunting rifles.

Coming down from placing the 300 yard steel target:

Guy

Excellent, Guy. I hope to be out this coming week. Loads are all worked up and ready to go. Winter practice is the best.

You're right Dr. Mike - the air is still and cold... Perfect for longish range rifle shooting!

Hey good looking rifles Guy! Didn't take the old Savage out though eh? Anxious to see what those old Speer's will do to steel plate at 300 yards!!!

What kind of scope is on that Remington .30-06? Looks like an older Redfield. You still shooting the 165 grain Partitions in that rifle?

I went up the other day to let me wife shoot her new Ruger American .308 - it was way too cold! We fired less than 20 rounds cumulatively. It was 15 degrees all day here in Idaho!

Thanks for sharing -

Dale

It is an older 2-7x Redfield. It's proven to be a good scope.

And was shooting 165's over H4350 again, but Ballistic Tips, rather than the Partitions.

The .22 Hi-Power is moving up closer to the front of the list... :)

Guy

What is all that white stuff on the ground ? Lol. Its been in the 70's here with tornadoes and flood warnings. Sexy jeep too by the way!

Good show Guy. Shooting the 30-30 at 300 yards is a blast. I also like ringing the 300 yard gong at 300 with my Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag. I just lob those big 240 gr JHPs in there. :)

JD338

JD338":3an4064b said:
Good show Guy. Shooting the 30-30 at 300 yards is a blast. I also like ringing the 300 yard gong at 300 with my Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag. I just lob those big 240 gr JHPs in there. :)

JD338

It's a hoot Jim. :grin: It's funny - I don't shoot the .30-30 particularly well at 100 yards, but I guess the challenge of ringing the gong with it at 300 just motivates the heck out of me, because I rarely miss the steel with it... I just knuckle down, and get it done!

Guy

I like the half-length magazine on that Marlin Guy...that no doubt helps accuracy.

No matter the range or the caliber there is just something fun about flinging lead out of a levergun!

Dale

filmjunkie4ever":10w5pfsr said:
I like the half-length magazine on that Marlin Guy...that no doubt helps accuracy.

No matter the range or the caliber there is just something fun about flinging lead out of a levergun!

Dale

Thanks Dale, I like that little rifle too. It's an old Glenfield (by Marlin), still in pretty good shape. I picked it up used a while back and thoroughly enjoy shooting it and hunting with it.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":ig224jb7 said:
filmjunkie4ever":ig224jb7 said:

Dale

Thanks Dale, I like that little rifle too. It's an old Glenfield (by Marlin), still in pretty good shape. I picked it up used a while back and thoroughly enjoy shooting it and hunting with it.

Regards, Guy

It's kind of funny. We are bolt action fine accuracy fellas yet we truly love carrying, shooting and hunting with lever actions. Go figure.

My lil' Marlin 1894 44 Mag spoke with authority last night. A Nosler 240 gr JHP found its mark and put a WT doe on the ground right now. Love it!

JD338

That's too darned cool! Love to see those lever guns reaching out.

That CDL 30/06 looks pretty good Guy. Those old 2x7 Redfields were real good. My little brother has one on his 257 Weatherby. Danged thing hasn't moved since I zeroed it 3 years ago.

Guy -

I like so many others and yourself use the 165 grain bullets in the .30-06 but I am curious friend, what bullet weight do you use in the .30-30? I see on our shelves there are the old standard 150 and 170 grain FL ammo but also a 125 grain HP from Federal as well as the monolithic and FTX selections from Hornady. Just curious what your 300 yard .30-30 load might be?

I discovered a while back that the .30-06 165 grain Remington Corelokt ammo shoots to the same POA at 100 yards as do my 165 grain Partition handloads. Nice to know if you're out in BFE and need some more ammo.

Thanks -

Dale

FOTIS":21m1jwza said:
Guy Thought you had a Leupy 6x on the '06

This .30-06 700 CDL has the 2-7x Redfield.

My .25-06 700 CDL has a 6x Leupold.

I like the 6x more, but see the value of being able to dial down to 2x with the .30-06, since someday I'm likely to take a poke at a bear with it and may have to go into the brush after the wounded bear...

Wasn't going to keep the 2-7 Redfield, got it with a used rifle some years ago, but the scope impressed me so much that it stayed when the rifle went...

Re my .30-30 load - I was just chucking 170 grain Federal factory ammo the other day, and I tend to load pretty much the same, 170's at about 2,100 fps. Nothing fancy.

Guy

Back