Speer Hotcore 350 gn for 45-70

The 350gr Speer been using it for years in my Marlin 45/70 it’s like using a Bonded Bullet. I have yet recovered one !
The only 3,comes close to it is the Swift 350 A Frame and the 350gr Weldcore Woodleigh RN and the 350gr Kodiak FN Alaskan .

It is a fact. The 350 is a super robust made bullet made for higher velocities. It might not expand at all at 45-70 velocities.
The Speer 350gr is a great bullet in the 45/70 especially at 1800 to 2000 fps it’s a tough bullet that performs like a bonded bullet in the 45/70 Marlin .

Last edited:
Actually, the Speer 300gr bullet is sold as their "Plinker" bullet, but it is built like their Unicore bullets. I've yet to use them on game, but the ones I've recovered from the dirt berm show no separation. Unless I were hunting something really big and mean, I would have no hesitation using them on any game. As a bonus, they are relatively cheap.

Speer 350 FN is excellent in the Marin 45/70. Perhaps the best jacketed bullet ever made to hunt with. 2.600” COAL for Marlin’s and 48.0 IMR 4198 in WW brass make an excellent load in my Marlin GG and Trapper. Great weight retention that closely resembles Bonded Bullets. The 350gr Speer FN is what I use in Alaska for Bear and Moose hunting.

I am going to disagree with Jim (sorry Jim, drinks on me next time around...HA!), it actually isn't a super hard bullet, I haven't seen it act too much harder than the Hornady 350 FP or RN. What it does pose is the crimp groove is in the wrong spot, but if you use a Lee FCD, you can crimp it anywhere and it'll work fine when loaded to the 45-70 spec'ed OAL. It was made for the 458, but I think most of it marketing as it expanded just fine. It is one of the bullets I shot into water but haven't put it up in our bullet tests. It is a great bullet though, was real accurate in my rifle. H322 is really a good one as case fill supports the bullet real well too, so bullet set back with a good crimp and the powder supporting it should be real good.
This^^^
Tough bullet that usually expands to .65-.75”. Penetrates DEEP, and shoots very accurately. I get 2178 fps from a 22” barrel and either 4198, I don’t really have a preference. At that velocity, if it doesn‘t expand I’ll just pretend it’s a solid or hardcast. My shoulder endured enough punishment with that last shot at 2178. Lol

FCD is an absolute must, and recoil isn’t that bad if you’re not at the bench.

Last edited:
I was just a tad over 2000 fps in GG and 1770 fps in Trapper with that 48.0 load . It’s my main jacketed bullet for the 45/70 the 350gr Speer FN. yes weight retention is excellet.

That's a potent load in a quick handling rig.

JD338

She's a beauty. Stainless steel is the way to go in my book.

JD338

She's a beauty. Stainless steel is the way to go in my book.

JD338
Who was it that done bullet test with the 350 Speer FN in the 45/70 . I remember seeing the bullet expansion test and was very impressed.

Who was it that done bullet test with the 350 Speer FN in the 45/70 . I remember seeing the bullet expansion test and was very impressed.

This one? I can't see the photos of the bullet test anymore, but it seems the bullet did really well: https://forum.nosler.com/threads/350-gr-speer-hot-core.34711/

I've shot both the FN and RN versions of Hornady's 350 gr JSP, and long ago the Swift A-Frame too. That Swift was indeed a thing of beauty. :)

Regards, Guy

Back