Split brass

kendogg

Beginner
Sep 29, 2026
2
0
I purchased 2 new boxes of Winchester 44mag I shot 6 out of my 44 rifle with no issue and I shot 6 out of my smith model 29 and the brass split . If it’s the ammo wouldn’t it have split no matter what gun it’s being shot from ?
 
I’m not sure what you are asking exactly but I believe a difference in chambers could cause it to split in one but not the other.
 
I think if it were me, I’d reserve the rest of that ammo for your rifle and then try the same thing with a different brand of ammo and see what happens. I don’t think your results necessarily mean the ammo is bad or something is wrong with your gun, chambers are not all the same, pressures are not all the same and brass is not all of the same hardness.
 
Back
Top