Spring 2013 Black Bear Hunting

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I'm heading out tomorrow with a 16 year old guy from church and his dad to find him a black bear. A few of you might remember they were with me 2 years ago to watch me shoot a bear and then last year he tried for his first but it didn't happen but this year I'm sure it will work out for us. He has matured a lot in the last year and has enough shooting skill now to shoot to 100 yards with confidence. We will head out tomorrow afternoon and see what happens, hopefully we will come home with his first big game animal in the back of the truck :) After we have cut his tag I hope to get out with my wife in the next couple of weeks so she hopefully she can see what it is like to see an animal taken and see what field dressing is like. She still wants to take her hunter training this year so we will see how she does with it all.

Wishing you every success, Gerry. I saw quite a bit of game in an outing today, including a couple of nice blackies and one of the biggest wolves I've ever seen.

Hi gerry, you are probably back already. Sure happy that u are taking out a young person. You can learn so much about a person in the field :wink:.
Look forward to your continued story with photos.
Be Safe, Shoot straight & have Fun.

Blessings,
Dan

Good luck Gerry, I am headed out for bears pretty shortly as well. Hoping to get the wife on a nice bear or two soon..

Good luck to you buddy!

SJB358":e2ygd2ai said:
Good luck Gerry, I am headed out for bears pretty shortly as well. Hoping to get the wife on a nice bear or two soon..

Good luck to you buddy!

Good luck on your own search for bruins, Scotty.

I put my application in for MI fall bear. I know I have been saying this every year, BUT I should draw this year with 7-8 points.
I have a spot lined up between beaver dams and there is a big one hanging around there. My buddy saw his tracks last Friday just before he headed my way to turkey hunt.
Man, all this talk about bear hunting is getting me pumped.

JD338

I'm pulling for you, Jim. A good MI bear would make a great trophy for you. A good bear is certainly a worthy opponent.

DrMike":39du9ej5 said:
SJB358":39du9ej5 said:

Good luck to you buddy!

Thank you sir. I can't wait. Really hoping to get Lori on a nice bear and I would love to bust one with the 45-70 or the 338. Those two need some hunting time.

SJB358":16ny2fc1 said:
DrMike":16ny2fc1 said:
SJB358":16ny2fc1 said:

Good luck to you buddy!

Thank you sir. I can't wait. Really hoping to get Lori on a nice bear and I would love to bust one with the 45-70 or the 338. Those two need some hunting time.

Scotty

You are "Loaded for Bear". :mrgreen:
Best of luck to the both of you.

JD338

Scotty, that 45/70 would be fun on bear :wink:.
As well please wish your lovely wife a Happy Mother's Day:). May she have a great & blessed day!!

Blessings,
Dan

An update. Matt, his dad Irwin and I went out on Saturday afternoon and camped out until Sunday at lunch. It rained but it was still good to hang out with the boys, Irwin and I stayed up and talked to after midnight. It was really hot the previous week and melted a lot of snow but the bears in the area we were hunting were just coming down to the lower country from their dens. We didn't see much fresh sign and only saw one bear, he was a decent size and moved out quickly when we saw him while driving checking for sign. We looked for him the next morning but didn't see him, in another spot we saw a fresh bear dropping the night before so we hiked in there the next morning, he was close enough we could smell him but the brush was too thick to see him. Thankfully the season is long and we will get Matt out again, I'm planning on camping out with my wife, Maria this weekend and do some bear hunting and hopefully get Matt out again on the holiday Monday again. I'll update things on this thread as they happen. It is going to be a great spring one way or another, I have some 200 gr AccuBond 35 Whelen loads waithing for their chance to nail a decent black bear :) Matt is using a 180 gr Speer RN in a 303 British for his bear.

Thanks gerry, look forward to seeing what those 200gr do in the 35 Whelen. Keep us posted :wink: & photos would be nice as well:)!!

Blessings,
Dan

Gerry,

It sounds as if you had a successful time afield. Though no trigger was pulled, you did see game and knew that you were close at other times. That qualifies as a great time. We are all pulling for you and for Matt to tag a bear. The venerable 303 has touched plenty of game in this country, that's for sure.

Man, it sounds like you guys are having a ball. Cool that the season is a long one. :mrgreen:

My wife and I headed out this evening looking for bears, we ended up seeing 7 bears all together. One blackie on the highway coming home, and two different bears I tried to get a shot on but the wind wasn't right and they bolted. The best part of the trip came in between the two attempted stalks, we came around a corner and there was a big sow grizzly with 3 cubs on the logging road :) It's not everyday you see 4 grizzlies on a road especially here with all the thick brush we have. I was glad that my wife and I could see such a beautiful sight together, we are blessed. We are heading back tomorrow in the morning and staying the day back there, there is a good chance of connecting on one. We saw some big piles of scat where the grizzlies were and in another spot the same thing which likely was another grizz. They leave BIG piles :shock:

Still heading out with Matt in the next few weeks and will post up some pics of our outings when I get a chance.

Few events are as exciting or as gratifying as watching grizzlies. So often, they appear unexpectedly, and we savour every moment that we are in their presence observing them. Three cubs! She has her paws full with them. I can't imagine that a boar is inclined to be overly friendly toward those cubs. Were these second year cubs, Gerry? A boar may be stalking her for the rut at this time.

Back