Spring 2013 Black Bear Hunting

Best of luck but it sounds like you're already having that. :)

For me it's the quality of the experience more than filling the tag. Don't get me wrong, I like to fill tags too. It's just that the overall experience means more to me. I'll be pulling for you to fill that tag.

Thanks guys, Mike they looked to me to be last years cubs she would be very nervous I'm sure about a boar trying to kill them. The one blackie was only a couple of kilometers from them so I'm sure that bear is nervous about their presence. We were in the same area I got my grizzly in the fall of 2011, there is at least one very big boar that lives there that we know of, he no doubt rules the area. Today looks to be a nice day and am really looking forward to spending time with my wife in the outdoors. Spring is a wonderful time here, hunting bears in May is one of the best activities a person could do.

gerry":ej3oo4up said:
Spring is a wonderful time here, hunting bears in May is one of the best activities a person could do.

True words, those. Yeah, Mama Grizzly undoubtedly makes the blackie nervous, and the boar grizzly makes Mama Grizzly nervous. These are rich times in the fresh forbs and grasses for the bears, and time of intense nervousness.

gerry thank you for the update from yesterday. If I could hunt grizz I would be back in the field in a heart beat :wink:. I believe hunting a Big Boar would be something very special!!!
I hope that you & your wife have a great day in the mountains :) be safe & shoot straight.

Blessings,
Dan

Doc, I forgot to ask did u guys get the long weekend snow fall that is usually to your area?

Blessings,
Dan

It is a bright, sunny 13 C this morning as I finalize preparations for the day. The high today is projected to be 18 C. It will cloud up on Monday, but the high is predicted at 19 C.

I'll update this before I go to bed and fill in the details tomorrow along with a bunch more pictures. We managed to bag this bear around 8 pm it is a young boar that squared 5' 11". He is like a teenager compared to his dad skinny and not filled out yet. His hide isn't good but that doesn't matter too much I would have sent him to the fur buyer anyway. We have the meat cooling with ice and will process it tomorrow. We saw 6 bears total and tried for 4 of them one was a big boar that hopefully we will get Matt on to next weekend. The bears were very spooky and the 6th was the only one I was able to get a shot on. We saw him on a side road while driving so we drove past and I walked back, the bear ended up going up a tree about 15-20 feet high so I was able to shoot him once in the chest and a second time through the shoulders. He dropped with a big thud after the second round, the 200 gr Accubonds from my 35 Whelen both exited. I'm very pleased to have been able to have my wife along for this and for her to see what it is like to bag a big game animal, she has never seen that before.

Congratulations, Gerry. That is a fine representative of the blackies. He isn't the biggest bear in the forest, but he'll be fine eating. He is bigger than some I've seen in recent years. That was an excellent day for you and your good lady. Again, congratulations.

Good job gerry, that is a great black bear. It is always special when your wife gets to be part of your passion.
Just wondering what is your process method for bear? Do u make sausage or just regular cut?
Thank you for the story & photos :) look forward to your next outing!!

Blessings
Dan

Thanks guys, it was wonderful to be able to go hunting with my wife. I am very thankful to have been able to share this experience with her. She has come a long way for a city girl :)

Dan we normally make ground meat or sausage with bear meat, in this case we will likely make sausage and save all the scraps for our old dog Angel to eat, we boil it for her and she loves it.

The grizzlies were still in the area we saw them judging from all the new droppings there, other spots had huge piles of droppings which were also most likely other grizzlies. We spent a lot of time hiking into areas we had seen bears or had lots of fresh poop there.

The cottonwood the bear climbed.

Black bear on a slide.

Bear poop.

Snow in the pass, it was only plowed to this point.

Flowers Maria had me dig up to take home and put in our garden :)

Scenery shots.

Good looking country! Thanks for sharing the photos. I hope the flowers take hold and grow.

Guy

Stunning photos gerry, thanks for sharing your hunt with us! Congrats on some fine table fare as well.

Great pictures Gerry! That is some awesome country out there. Congrats again on the bear.

Back