SPS 25 caliber 115 gr BT blem tip color

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
I think I've seen this question before, but can't find it when searching. I just got 4 bags of these from SPS, and the tips are colored grey instead of blue like they usually are. I think maybe that's what made them be 'blems'. Anyone else experienced mis-matched tip colors on BT's???
EE2

Just a guess, but since they're gray I'd bet they were intended to be Ballistic Silvertips and just don't have the black coating on them. BST's all have gray tips on them regardless of caliber.

Ron

I got some .338 200 grain bt blems years ago with the grey tips. Since only bst's are/were available anymore, I assumed the same thing- ballistic silvertips that were blems so they didn't bother coating them.

I got some red tip 160 accubonds a few years ago that were listed as overruns. I supposed they were bound for some black coating in the future. I sure did like that red tip, but sadly I've shot them all up.

Now that brings up a pet peeve of mine. My favorite bullet for my swift and my triple deuce is the 50 gr ballistic tip but they have this hideous orange tip. Any chance on some overruns of a different color some day. say maroon?

I received mine about two weeks ago and the tip was gray also. They surely shoot good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. These are intended to be Ballistic Silver Tips. They just need the Lubalox coating.

JD338

Looking forward to working them up. My fav Hornady 120HP's were discontinued. Love having the excuse to do development. Think I'll shoot some jugs, too!
EE2

Since we are coming clean on certain likes and pet peeves I have to admit my favourite Ballistic Tip colour are the yellow 277"s. Don't mind the brown 264, or green 308's, really like the blue 257 and 8mm's. For reason's I can't quite explain I really dislike anything with a red tip. The white AccuBond looks really good and the grey ABLR is pretty nice too.

There I said it :)

I've had some good luck with the red tipped BTs so I have grown to like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several boxes of 7mm 120 grain ballistic tips with blue tips. Got them from SPS a while back.

JohnB

I'm fine with gray 115's, partly because I have never used 115's and don't have any blue tips to create confusion. If I did I would get a blue sharpie! This thread has more legs than I intended. :) EE2

Back