Started Some Leather Working

3 Meter Para Bellum

Handloader
Apr 17, 2020
Hey folks, I got into some leather working recently and wanted to share. I have done some pretty intensive knife and sharpening research over the last three years and hope that I might be able to experiment with some crude knife making soon, I even have a rudimentary forge in the works for the back yard. However, while I slowly work my way up to that, I wanted to get into something related that didn't take quite as much investment, so I decided to get into leather work so that I could make myself or other people some knife sheaths. I hope to get good at this and have enjoyed learning it a lot so far. Here is some of my work so far:

moraSheath1.JPG
This is the sheath I did for my Mora Robust, which is brought along on any camping or road trip, and gets used in the yard all the time.fieldcraftSheath1.JPG
This is the same style I did for my chunky Tops Fieldcraft.
bayonetSheathInProgress2.JPG
This is an almost finished sheath for my grandpa's military bayonete.holdingSheathDownscale.JPGpicnicSheathDownscale.JPG
And these are a couple pictures of the sheath I made for my little Dexter paring knife that I wanted to be able to bring along with me places. Makes a great little picnic knife now!

I would commission something similar to a forearm guard or wrist band to hold a couple or three rifle cartridges. Thinking 300 HH. 375hh 275 rigby 257 roberts.
Something adjustable so I could wear it over shirt sleeves in Sept. or a heavy coat in November. Perhaps leather loop at the cartridge base end and a high quality elastic band to hold the bullet end. That way I could interchange the 375 and the 300 as they have the same case. Likewise the 275 rigby and the 257 Roberts have the same case.
What do you think?

Nice work. Having done a little bit, myself I can appreciate your time and effort. It can be rewarding. Keep up the good work. Are the cookies included with a sheath? Dan.

Thanks everyone, its encouraging that you guys like them!
I would commission something similar to a forearm guard or wrist band to hold a couple or three rifle cartridges. Thinking 300 HH. 375hh 275 rigby 257 roberts.
Something adjustable so I could wear it over shirt sleeves in Sept. or a heavy coat in November. Perhaps leather loop at the cartridge base end and a high quality elastic band to hold the bullet end. That way I could interchange the 375 and the 300 as they have the same case. Likewise the 275 rigby and the 257 Roberts have the same case.
What do you think?
Hmmm, it's not something that I know exactly how I would do right off the bat, but I would be curious to try to think up how to make something like this. So far I have focused all my efforts on sheath making, so I am still getting my bearings on how to do different varieties of things. I'll take a look at some leather cartridge holder designs to see what I can come up with.

Thanks everyone, its encouraging that you guys like them!

Hmmm, it's not something that I know exactly how I would do right off the bat, but I would be curious to try to think up how to make something like this. So far I have focused all my efforts on sheath making, so I am still getting my bearings on how to do different varieties of things. I'll take a look at some leather cartridge holder designs to see what I can come up with.
Let me know what you come up with, le like to buy prototype #1 before you become famous.

Great job, they are looking good. I got into leatherwork when i was working up and Canada the past year and a half because it was easier to do in a new country than my other hobbies and took up less space in an apartment. Very enjoyable, kept me occupied in my free time. I've also dabbled in the knife making but never with my own forge, I'd shape then send the blade out for heat treatment. Both fun hobbies

Very nice!
It can become addicting.
I’ve been doing leatherwork for about eleven years now, and started with sheaths.
I’ve now since made so many different things, mostly hunting based items.
If you have any questions about this drop me a message, if you like, and I’ll try, and help however I can.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I have been loning it so far, just researching and diving in, it would be nice to have someone else in the field to discuss things with!
Let me know what you come up with, le like to buy prototype #1 before you become famous.
I looked up how to make a shell carrier, how to measure out the loops and all that, and I don't think there is any reason I couldn't make something like you described. I'm thinking I can make a piece with however many loops you want and can fit, then I can put two adjustable straps with small buckles to attach it to your arm. It would be a simple modification to the typical thing you see on cowboy revolver belts, like this one by Cliff Fendley.

1728752375808.png
I can start a couple paper patterns to work up a nice looking shape and see what you think. Which orientation would you want the shells carried, parallel or perpendicular to your arm?

I’ve been playing with how I might want it configured Initially I thought the cartriges running parallel with my arm would be good. But the way I hold the rifle when I reload I think perpendicular will be better.
I spent an hour or so going through my boxes of sporting stuff. Catherine asks what the hell are you looking for. “My old archery arm guard.” You haven’t shot a bow since high school or maybe college. She still doesn’t understand what treasures can come out of boxes of good stuff.
I figured the old arm guard would be a starting place but no luck.
Thanks for thinking about this. Let me know I’ll send you a couple of dummy cartridges.

Back