stevens 223

irocbarry

Beginner
Sep 5, 2006
so i gave in and bought a stevens 223, with a bushnell banner 4-12, cheap and great for what i want, complete setup ~375

as soon as i got it i trimmed the damn mold marks off the tupperware stock :roll:

then adjusted the trigger down as far as i was comfortable, closer to 3 pounds now then the 7-8 i swear it was to start. it was worse then my 22lr bolt action

went out and shot it with winchester whitebox ammo todayand had decent results, nothing amazing, but i was also shooting my 300 win mag, so my shoulder was hating me

love the gun for the most part, except the bolt is extremely stiff to lift up with the firing pin released, doesnt matter if fired, dry fired, or released when shutting the bolt.
is this common with savages?

I have had many of them. Never a problem! My 223 will shoot in the .3"s with H4895 and 50 gr BT's.

I picked up a new Stevens Model 200 in .223 last year right before Christmas. The trigger was easily tuned and after a little polishing I had it breaking quite crisp at 2 1/2 pounds. The bore on mine seemed quite rough, so after the initial cleaning I hand lapped the bore with some FLITZ BORE POLISH, and it smoothed right up. I then went out and did my usual shoot-n-clean barrel break in with 50 rounds.

Using Ultra Max Commercial Reloads (loaded with 55gr. Winchester Pointed Soft Point Bullets) I was getting more than the Ultra Max advertised muzzle velocity and 5 shot 100 yard groups running between 1/2" to 3/4". I then set out to work up a Handload with 50gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips with Hodgdon's Benchmark. While it was an honest 1" group shooter with this combination I never did get a load with these components to shoot as good as the Ultra Max Commercial Reloads.

A young guy in town is an aspiring Coyote Hunter and was buddy his dad for a .223 Rifle. Long story short I ended up selling this young lads dad the Stevens for what I had invested in it.

All in all my first experience with the Stevens Model 200 was very favorable and I really kind of miss that rifle.

Larry

I just bought one, havent made it to the range yet. Going to drop an SSS trigger in it and a varmit barrel if the factory one is questionable. If I go that route, a have a DuraMaxx stock also. Couldnt pass it up for the price.

Back