Sticking Safety on Patriot in .280 AI

Whitesheep

Beginner
Jan 6, 2015
At the range over the weekend I experienced a stuck safety on my new Nosler Patriot on it's 3rd outing. The rifle would not fire because the safety could not be completely disengaged. At one point it was completely stuck. Eventually my friend worked it free and the rifle was fine for the rest of the shooting session.

What experiences of this type has anyone else had with a Nosler Rifle? Clearly I am concerned that this could happen again in a hunting situation.

I suspect grit or machining residue in the action and plan to remove the action/barrel from the stock. What are the torque specifications for this rifle?

Thank you,

Whitesheep":37libcy8 said:
At the range over the weekend I experienced a stuck safety on my new Nosler Patriot on it's 3rd outing. The rifle would not fire because the safety could not be completely disengaged. At one point it was completely stuck. Eventually my friend worked it free and the rifle was fine for the rest of the shooting session.

What experiences of this type has anyone else had with a Nosler Rifle? Clearly I am concerned that this could happen again in a hunting situation.

I suspect grit or machining residue in the action and plan to remove the action/barrel from the stock. What are the torque specifications for this rifle?

Thank you,

Call Shawn Finley at Nosler

I agree with Fotis, Call Shawn Finley and discuss with him.

JD338

Thank you Fotis and JD338. I have a call into Shawn and will post back what I learn.

The safety on my .300 M48 was sticking a few years back. When I pulled it from the stock, a very thin piece of receiver metal that forms a slot on the outboard side of the safety lever had broken and was bent inward enough to make contact with the lever and in some cases, block it.

Nosler took care of it in less than 2 weeks...just stellar CS.

I'd pull it out of the stock and see what's there. Mine is a 2006 version so it may have changed.

You are likely correct hodgeman and that is what I planned to do once I knew what the torque specifications are for the stock screws. Since Nosler will address the issue at no cost for shipping to me, I'll go with the experts.

I still would like those torque specs just in case I have to do some work myself in a pinch.

I took mine out of the stock first thing, lol....before I even fired it...had to check everything out.

My stock is different than yours (pillar bedded vs bedding block) but I torqued mine to 45 in. lbs....it was torqued to about 25 in. lbs. out of the box.

Whitesheep":17d5ha42 said:
You are likely correct hodgeman and that is what I planned to do once I knew what the torque specifications are for the stock screws. Since Nosler will address the issue at no cost for shipping to me, I'll go with the experts.

I still would like those torque specs just in case I have to do some work myself in a pinch.

Sorry I didn't cover that in our conversation! Torque spec per the manual as follows:

Using a T27 Torx® bit and an inch-pound torque wrench, first lightly snug both screws then tighten the front action screw to between 45 and 50 inch-pounds. Tighten the rear action screw to between 35 and 40 inch-pounds.

Any other questions, just let me know. :)

Thank you Shawn,

Mike responded right away and my rifle is in the mail as of today. I am really impressed by your customer service at this point and appreciate your attention.

My rifle is on the way back from Bend and the Custom Shop addressed the issue. This is what they told the customer service representative that assisted me.

“The part of the safety that blocks the trigger looked like it got bent slightly, too much pressure possibly when pulling the trigger while it was in the safe position or someone tried to put the safety on once it had been fired. “

Honestly I am surprised the safety is this weak. Anyone else have this problem? I didn't use any tools or leverage to clear the jam and I am no muscle builder so I am not sure how the part they mention was bent. This has never happened on any other bolt action rifle I own including ones that cost more and those that cost less.

While the customer service has been great, this has left me with less than 100% confidence in this rifle. Hopefully problem free time at the range and in silhouette competition will enhance my confidence to take this to the woods.

I think you just need to wring it out really good a few times and if she works fine your confidence will return. Better it happened now then out on a hunt someplace. I can see where it might shake you up a bit and I hope it's fixed and works perfectly for you. Keep us informed.

David

Yes, having problems with a new rifle can give anyone anxiety. When I had my 35 Whelen made I went up to Dawson Creek. DrMike & I went out for its first range date and on the second shot I had a misfire :( it then happened again. Took rifle back & they change the firing pin spring seem to work fine after that. I got home & first day back at the range it did the same thing. This was very disheartening since it was a custom made rifle. Sent it back & RMR found that I had a faulty sear in my Timney trigger.
The trigger has been replaced & it has worked like a champ ever since!
I am glad Nosler treated you right as customer service is what it is all about.

Blessings,
Dan

My rifle is back at home and all appears to be well. It was nicely packaged and they included a users guide which I didn't have before. I also receive a printed note that when shipping a bolt action I should remove and pad the bolt itself separately from the rifle, but with in the gun case. Nosler wrapped the bolt in bubble wrap and put it between the padding and the case wall. This makes sense, but I hadn't thought about it before.

All in all about 5 weeks between shipping and return. From my experience that is pretty fast.

Now I can get back to load development and hopefully get in some silhouette shoots later this summer.

Went to the range today and it was a good day. The M48 ran 45 rounds flawlessly so I am on my way to renewed confidence. Still working up loads, but as you can see the rifle is doing just fine, at least by my standards. (y)

Temp .280 AI.jpg

To be honest there was a flyer for shot #5 that ruined this group. I am noticing this rifle usually puts three shots sub MOA and then the next two about 1" away. In this case I got four good ones. I was not checking each shot so I am not sure in what order the left hole falls, but the unseen 5th was clearly the last.

Since this is primarily a hunting rifle, if I need a 4th shot the game is running away, probably unharmed, and I am pissed off. In this luckily uncommon situation another inch might not matter.

Note that COL is "cartridge length to ogive"

Back