Stock help

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
Ok I decided its time to get a quality stock on my Christensen arms 257 wby which is a 700 action

I contacted Christensen and they want just too much money for one of their stocks 650 aint happening.

So I am looking at the HS precision sendero types

My question is my barrel measures 1.0" at the end of the factory 700 tupperware and the HS stock I really want is .850 how big of a deal would it be to open that up?

Or should I consider the one that is 1.250 would that be a rediculous amount of free float?

My hope is the one that is .850 will works as you can get it with out the palm swell

What do you experts know

Or should I consider the one that is 1.250 would that be a rediculous amount of free float?

Heck no, thats only an 1/8" on each side. Ideal clearance in my book and most of my heavy barreled rifles have that. Especially considering the size of pipe your using it will be proportionate/symetrical ....

I am leary of doing much sanding on a glass stock as the gel coat is not that thick before you get into the glass layers and if you het the glass layers, your affecting the structural integrity of the stock. IMHO......

When in doubt, call H&S!!!! They are the experts with their stocks..... Not us.. :lol:

Rod

Nitis, There are many good stocks out there. The HS is a great stock and is very popular. The 1.250 would be great and free floated barrel for sure. Take a look at some others if you aren't set on the HS. Mcmillan has many nice stocks. Also check out the greybull precisions stocks. I am currently working with John on getting one for my latest build and can't wait to try it out. If you arent satisfied with them 100% refund.

No biggy! go ahead and sand the barrel channel and you'll be fine. Here's what it looks like in my 308 Tactical rifle. The barrel is an MTU contour.

IMGP3097.jpg

I sent HS a line to see what they have to say.

I also sent one to Greybull not real fond of the funky shape but I am open to lots of stuff just not wanting to pay more than 350 max I have someone who can help me bed it

sounds like you're looking for fiberglass, but if you're open to wood, Richards Microfit offers wood or laminate in a myriad of styles and colors/grades. They will cut a custom barrel channel and forend profile. In your pricerange you could get a beautiful piece of Bastogne walnut. Be forewarned, they do take a long time to get the wood to you and they are hard to get ahold of on the phone but they put out a really nice product.

Back