Stock help?

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
I'm putting together a little fast handling (hopefully) light rifle in 250 AI. Don't know why, just seemed like fun. :grin:
I am using a Savage action, light sporter contour (around a #3) in 24", and am considering stocks.
I have a couple Hogue stocks with the bedding block that I really like the accuracy from thus far.
I am also looking at Bell and Carlson with the block also.
Any ideas or other suggestions?
Thanks!

Here's the B and C
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-33/medalist-aluminum-bedding-block/Detail

Hogue
http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=518_662&products_id=6901

Have you looked at the Manners Stock as they have a mini rail system rather that a block.
I purchased a Manners with this system in it. I still have not been able to get it out to see how it works as we here in Saskatchewan have a real run of bad weather.
Hopefully this will be changing soon.

Blessings,
Dan

No sir, hadn't looked at that one. I will now though.
Thanks!
Hope your weather improves so you can go play. :lol:

I'd take the B&C over the Hogue. The Houges I've handled have quite a bit of flex in the forearm.
Scott

Thank you.
Just read the B and C runs part of the aluminum block to the forearm.

I have a couple of B&C Medalists. Pretty good stocks for me. I have one on my 35 Newton and another on a 7mm Rem Mag. Both are very serviceable and good looking. The wrist is a little tight for my big hands, but not horrible.

Thanks!
Just ordered a Medalist.
I'll stick some pics up when I get it done.

muleman":1yvs65iu said:
I'd take the B&C over the Hogue. The Houges I've handled have quite a bit of flex in the forearm.
Scott

And heavy! The first thing I did when I bought my 7WSM was order a McMillan for it to ditch the Hogue. Love their handgun stocks, hate the rifle stocks.

So when you're done it'll look similar to this:

P1000614.jpg

P1000617.jpg

Stevens 200 stagger feed short action in .250-3000 Savage with a B&C Carbelite stock. It's pillar bedded, but it doesn't have the full length bedding block. This makes it a slimmer and trimmer feeling stock than the Medalist even thought they weigh about the same. I just wish B&C would make hunting style stocks for the Savage center feed short action with 4.40" screw spacing.

Dwh7271":xtit500r said:
Be careful BK. He'll hook you on building those. :lol:

I figured your next build would have been the .280 AI.

I'm pretty much done building on Savage actions, I just have one more to build in .358 Win. I just tired of not having really good stocks in the medium price range for these 4.40" center feed actions. My choices are a heavy $100 Boyd's or $600+ synthetics by the time I have them finished.

There isn't much savings in Savage anymore when trying to use the short action over picking up a M700. In fact I'm selling my .243 1:7 twist and rebuilding on a M700 I picked up for $300. I'm trying to shave 3 lbs off to make it hunt able, as I'm not lugging around a 12 lbs bare bones rifle anywhere except to a bench.

taylorce1":1zpg7gdm said:
BK":1zpg7gdm said:
I have first dibs when you decide to sell that rifle...

I thought you were after a .243 .

Well, yeah, but I'm not going to pass up a .250-3000! Or a 7x57, or 6.5x55, or a 6mm, or...

Chad;
It is a 280 AI. Built it up last weekend and loaded up a few.
I just finished load workup for it and am cerakoting it this weekend. I'll put up a pic when I'm done. Came out better than I expected and pretty darn light. Barrel is 23.5 and just a shade over two pounds. Three shot max before its hotter than I want to shoot any more. May have gotten lucky on that barrel. With the accuracy I got it may be my new tote around rifle. Its been sub-moa with everything I put in it so far.
Have actions and barrels on the bench for a few others. Got hooked and went a little crazy on acquisitions.
358 is a neat cartridge. Geez, don't put more thoughts in my head. Wife may shoot me with one of the rifles. :lol:

Back