Stocky’s Carbon Fiber Stocks

Those look pretty nice. What rifle are you considering to upgrade?

JD338
Well , I ordered one in long action Howa/Vanguard. The list of long actions I have-
257 Wby
7mm RM
300 Wby
338 WM
375 Wby
A 300 WM barrel that could be spun onto 1 of these
Someone will be getting a facelift.

I purchased one for a build this winter. Rem 700, M5 bottom metal, proof sendero. It was a drop-in fit. So I bought another Rem 700, BDL bottom metal, sporter channel. Drop-in fit. Feeling lucky, bought a Savage 110 bottom bolt release. Not a drop-in fit. Still trying to get the Inlet right.

Overall, they seem nice for the price. The hydro dipping is a little rough and they are a bit slippery. I am fighting the urge to buy another one.

I purchased one for a build this winter. Rem 700, M5 bottom metal, proof sendero. It was a drop-in fit. So I bought another Rem 700, BDL bottom metal, sporter channel. Drop-in fit. Feeling lucky, bought a Savage 110 bottom bolt release. Not a drop-in fit. Still trying to get the Inlet right.

Overall, they seem nice for the price. The hydro dipping is a little rough and they are a bit slippery. I am fighting the urge to buy another one.

A trick we used long ago to get a little more "traction" on slick synthetic stocks is skateboard tape. Cut it to shape, and glue it on. Very long lasting. I still have an HS Precision stock I did that with in the mid 1990's. The skateboard tape is holding up fine.

Guy

A trick we used long ago to get a little more "traction" on slick synthetic stocks is skateboard tape. Cut it to shape, and glue it on. Very long lasting. I still have an HS Precision stock I did that with in the mid 1990's. The skateboard tape is holding up fine.

Guy
The skateboard tape is a good trick that I have used on handguns for better gripe and less movement in my hands when shooting.
If you have a Dremel tool you can stipple the area where you grip the gun using a pointed diamond bit. I have done this on wood and plastic type stocks and it works great for a permanent fix besides checkering. Once done you can hydro dip your stock after you stipple the stock.

Dad wanted to lighten up his Wby Vanguard 270 Win rifle, so I purchased one of the carbon fiber "Classic Hunter" design stocks, and painted it up for him.

My thoughts -
I wish it had a better recoil pad.
It does NOT manage recoil for a 270 Win as nicely as the Peak 44 stock does on a titanium Weatherby Backcountry. Frankly I find it one of the worst designed stocks I've used in a long time when it comes to recoil management. I shoot rifles a LOT larger than 270 Win on a routine basis, but the recoil with this is not fun.
Do NOT put anything in your cheek area or on the top of the stock to enhance grip. After painting the stock I sprayed it with "marbelizing spray"; think the webbing effect of a Bell & Carlson. I've done this on other stocks, but the way this one recoils it really scrapes your cheek and chin with the slight roughness of the webbing.

If I had to do it over I'm not sure I would buy this stock again. Both my daughter and I found it difficult to shoot well.

Attachments

• RenderedImage.JPG
    RenderedImage.JPG
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 6
not sure what mine is, its the one I liked in the color I liked
N4ITIo1.jpg

Back