straight 284 win. Anyone out there load for this?

atmoshpere

Beginner
Jun 8, 2011
So here's the scoop:

I've shot a 308 win for a while and haven't had any complaints, but for the last year or so I've been itchin to try out something else, maybe with a little ballistic edge over the 308 (not hard I know :mrgreen: )

I wanted a 7mm designed around the 140-160 gr bullets that would fit in my short action savage (currently a model 10PC) so I could just do a pac nor barrel swap and have a custom gun. Now it looks like to me that the 284 win is the ballistic equivalent of the 280(using modern propellants), but in a short action and with a smaller powder charge.

Seems like just the ticket for what I was lookin for, so I'm gettin ready to order a barrel.

Anyone have any pet loads for this cartridge using 140-160's? My mag allowable OAL is 3" even with some clearance, so i'll probably stay away from the 180's cause i'd have to put about half the bullet in the case!

Thanks, Aaron

Aaron, a few years ago I purchased a new USRAC model 70 compact in 7-08 and had it rechambered to 284. Nothing else needed to be changed as the bolt face is the same diameter and the magazine feeds fine. I did add a Pachmayr decellerator pad, mainly to increase length of pull. My magazine only allows a COL of 2.85, but that's ok with me as I don't get as hung up on the bullet intruding into powder space as some do. I tried RL19, as that gave the highest velocity in the manuals, but it wasn't that fast in my 20" barrel. Don't get me wrong, I am not a speed freak, as shown by my choice in caliber instead of a WSM. I finally settled on H414/W760 and was getting close to 2900 fps, though I'd be just as happy at 2700 fps. Whitetail are no match against this, nor was the cow elk I shot with it. After the shot, the cow turned around to go downhill and I could see the hole in her ribcage. The bullet? The only one you'll need - 150 gr. Partition.

Thanks for the info tooter. I'm looking at a 24" bbl on my build and am anticipating about 2800-2900 fps range with 160's on this setup. I was thinking of using 160 Accubonds as I think they'll work great at these mild velocities but still be long and tough enough to punch through an elk shoulder at a few hundred yards if need be.

Don't hear much about the plain old 284 case, but set up right I would think it would be the heat in a Short Action M70. Seems like 2800-2900 would be attainable, but I like Tooter's idea with the 150gr PT. Seems like that bullet needs more use around here! Might have to give them a whirl in the 7WSM if I can find some. Scotty

atmoshpere":3ewd7fuz said:
So here's the scoop:

I've shot a 308 win for a while and haven't had any complaints, but for the last year or so I've been itchin to try out something else, maybe with a little ballistic edge over the 308 (not hard I know :mrgreen: )

I wanted a 7mm designed around the 140-160 gr bullets that would fit in my short action savage (currently a model 10PC) so I could just do a pac nor barrel swap and have a custom gun. Now it looks like to me that the 284 win is the ballistic equivalent of the 280(using modern propellants), but in a short action and with a smaller powder charge.

Seems like just the ticket for what I was lookin for, so I'm gettin ready to order a barrel.

Anyone have any pet loads for this cartridge using 140-160's? My mag allowable OAL is 3" even with some clearance, so i'll probably stay away from the 180's cause i'd have to put about half the bullet in the case!

Thanks, Aaron

Here something you should read opn a 284.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek095.ht

As you see from the article he used a 25" long barrel. The chamber reamer they used on my 284 was a Manson 6.5x284 then throated. My action allows of a OAL of 3.100" and the only bullets I've shot in that rifle has been the 160gr AB and I'm mid 3000fps with 53gr/R-17 and that gain comes from the barrel length which is longer than 25"

Nothing against anyone here but for information from guys who are shooting the 284 might want to get on 6br forum alot using it in F-Class and lot are using Savage actions now. I used my 284 last year as a back up on a deer/elk hunt got to carry it for afew days.

Win 284 brass is hard to come by they make a yearly run other choice is to neck up 6.5x284 brass so want to check and make sure the chamber reamer work with both types. I found the 284 easy to work with and tune a load for. Well good luck

One of these days I'm going to talk you into something with the word "Magnum" in it!

This .284 should be a big step up for you over that "rainbow rock chucker" that you used to shoot! You'll Have to be carefull now, you'll shoot right over everything if you use your old hold over points :lol:

30-338: Thanks for the info and suggestion. I've spent a fair bit of time on the 6mmbr website doing just that. Was interested in some numbers for a 24" tube, as i consider it a bit more practical for packin around with and aside from the "Tactical Hunter" gun most seem to be using 28" tubes or longer as they're comp guns. Looks like 2900 fps should be doable out of a 24 incher with 3.00" COAL and some RL-17. But, much to jmad's dismay :wink: i'm not trying to turn this into a 7mag so I'm perfectly happy with the 2800fps arena with this bullet weight also. As he mentioned, it's still an improvement over the old "rainbow rock chucker" lol!

Just hoping to glean some more info from the wizened souls here :mrgreen:

Thanks, Aaron

The 284 Win is a cool round. I had the chance to shoot one earlier this year and it was a smooth round for sure.
Great choice on the 160 gr AB.

JD338

atmoshpere":35vs0w6b said:
30-338: Thanks for the info and suggestion. I've spent a fair bit of time on the 6mmbr website doing just that. Was interested in some numbers for a 24" tube, as i consider it a bit more practical for packin around with and aside from the "Tactical Hunter" gun most seem to be using 28" tubes or longer as they're comp guns. Looks like 2900 fps should be doable out of a 24 incher with 3.00" COAL and some RL-17. But, much to jmad's dismay :wink: i'm not trying to turn this into a 7mag so I'm perfectly happy with the 2800fps arena with this bullet weight also. As he mentioned, it's still an improvement over the old "rainbow rock chucker" lol!

Just hoping to glean some more info from the wizened souls here :mrgreen:

Thanks, Aaron

Aaron, what is the Rainbow Rock Chucker! Ha, sounds like a 45-70! Anyhow, just wanted to know.

Your idea for the 284 sounds pretty cool. I love the oddball rounds. Scotty

The "rainbow rock chucker" was the name that his .308 earned when he was shooting 180 TSX out of it. We couldn't get them to open up in dirt @ 300 yards! I have been giving him crap about being able to throw a rock that fast and rainbow arc like. Of coure I had to quit when he switched to the 130 TTSX and was getting 3200 out of a 26" tube :shock:

Brotherly love type taunting.

atmoshpere":240st5r2 said:
So here's the scoop:

Thanks, Aaron

Aaron, I read your post above and was trying to find were you want info on a 24" long barrel if you posted that I won't of bother to post anything as I couldn't answer your question.

30-338":2aqobq9x said:
Aaron, I read your post above and was trying to find were you want info on a 24" long barrel if you posted that I won't of bother to post anything as I couldn't answer your question.

You're right, I never mentioned that in my original post. Guess it was one of those things that didn't get out of my head and on to the page until the conversation got rolling. I appreciate your response, and certainly didn't mean to sound dismissive of your post. If that's how it came across, I apologize.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Aaron that caliber is a perfect choice for what you have considered. My oldest sister has a Savage 99F thus chambered and it is an amazing rifle. The biggest bullets that my father ever loaded in it were the 150 grain partitions. I have loaded her up some 160 grain Gamekings since then but the 150 PT is all you would need. The only powder we have used is the aforementioned W760/H414 because there was an un-natural affinity for accuracy there in. They were running out of the Savage 24" barrel at about 2850, pretty much factory specs for the cartridge as loaded by Winchester. You should be able to get a little more with 4350 or RL19 in a bolt gun.

You won't be sorry you chose this cartridge for sure and it will serve you well.

A short action 280 it is and will work well on anything in the lower 48. It is my favorite 7mm cartridge along with the 7x57 Mauser and the 7mm Rem Mag.

The only thing that ever held the 284 WCF back was poor marketing in its time and being housed in rifles that robbed it of true potential. Had the Model 70's and Rem 700's been thus chambered well, there would be a LOT more of these around.

The 284 Win is a highly underrated cartridge that will accomplish about anything you ask of it in North America. Congratulations on having a great cartridge. It has been in the back of my mind for many years to secure a rifle chambered in .284 Win, but I keep getting sidetracked.

Thanks for the additional info guys :) I'm getting really excited about this rifle as it is the first one I'm having "built" and i'm getting closer and closer to being able to order my barrel. Have brass prepped and borrowed a few bullets from my bro to play around with seating depth in my magazine and to send in to pac nor for throating purposes.

As I perused the ethernet last night I found this report on the 284 win and thought i'd share it here. http://home.earthlink.net/~rfrailey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/284loaddata.pdf The author seems to have done a pretty exhaustive experiment and I was wondering if anyone could offer some thoughts on his assertion that his results were most likely applicable to all 284 wins :shock: . Good info either way!

Wow, there is a TON of great info in that article. Thanks for posting it up. Scotty

Wow, thats how its done! That article has been by far the most useful of information I have yet to have seen. Way to do your homework.

I'm not gonna lie, it kinda felt like hitting the jackpot! Gave me some great places to start and I think saved me alot more time than I spent looking. Guess I'll have to spend my time, bullets and powder experimenting in other areas :twisted:

Back