Strange BT's

Gunner46

Handloader
Jan 12, 2015
I just received my order of 7mm 140gr BT seconds from SPS. Imagine my surprise when I saw 4 bags of non-red tipped bullets ! At 1st I wondered if they were AB's, but looking closer I saw that the tips are a light gray color. Correct product code. Anyone have any ideas ?

Sometimes Nosler makes bullets for the major ammunition makers. Maybe that run was for someone big, like Federal, Remington, Winchester or???

I dunno.

Those were slated to go to Winchester as Ballistic Silver Tips.

JD338

russ808":3gaozrqw said:
Yep,yep,yep. Btips without the lubalox coating.
russ

Yup, my first big batch of .277's 150 BTs off of Bivwak were the same.

Thanks guys. I had little doubt that they were not actually BT's, just couldn't wrap my mind around the reason for a different color.

The last several bags of .284" 160gr Accubonds that I received have RED tips. They look like Hornadys with that red tip but shoot exactly the same as the factory white tip Accubonds.
I have no idea who the red tip Accubonds were intended for.

I got a shipment from SPS just yesterday of 140 BT. Same thing, grey tips. They look to me like the tips on LRABs...

Yeah, I know, distressing to say the least. I'm sooooo a-kimble about this situation I just ordered another 4 bags a few minutes ago.

Got some uncoated 30/30 150 grain BTs years ago for my 3030.
They shot a phenominally well and when I replaced them with the coated ones I couldn't get them to do the same thing...
That's life!

Somebody loaded the wrong color in the tip inserting machine. I've seen the descriptions occasionally state they had the wrong color tips.

Charlie-NY":1yu6g92b said:
The last several bags of .284" 160gr Accubonds that I received have RED tips. They look like Hornadys with that red tip but shoot exactly the same as the factory white tip Accubonds.
I have no idea who the red tip Accubonds were intended for.

Winchester

JD338

Ah, Bivwak. Those were the days. Bidding for bullets. I would win 5 bags, call and ask for 5 more for the same price
per bag.
russ

russ808":3moaykiu said:
Ah, Bivwak. Those were the days. Bidding for bullets. I would win 5 bags, call and ask for 5 more for the same price
per bag.
russ

Yup. Same here Russ.. I stocked up with a lot of those bullets.

I purchased some 30 caliber bullets several years ago. They were a seconds sold as ballistic silver tips but weren't coated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still have a bunch of 160 accubonds with red tips. The weren't seconds they were over runs.

Back