Strange

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Not complaining, just thought it was different. Just got an order from the Pro Shop which included some 270 Ballistic Tips and Accubonds.
The strange thing is all of the bullets have grey tips.
Can add these to the collection along with my orange tipped Accubonds and uncoated Combined Technology bullets from previous orders.
I’m sure this will get some comments when I post pics of loaded ammo later.
bab4a16874f639b17c78bc8f0d81d332.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess would be that they were originally manufactured to be loaded into factory ammo from a non-Nosler ammo manufacturer. I've shot plenty of off-colored SPS bullets.

Charlie is right, I got some red ones a few years, they were mass produced for commercial ammunation. They are all the same.

I always think the grey tips are Ballistic Tips destined for Lubalox coating that never gets coating. Either they run a bigger batch then needed or they are just never sent out as they get the machines dialed in. Could be wrong, but most silver tips I have received have a corresponding CT ballistic tip same weight equivalent.

Arn't the tips on the ABLR bullets gray? they are on my 150 gr. 7MM ABLRs. Maybe just a mistake during manufacture?????

Paul B.

paul--- Generally they are gray, but they also produce them for cartridge manufacturers in red. I have used both, and both are the same.

Add some H4831 to the backside of them and they’ll be fine... :mrgreen:

when I saw " strange" as the header. I thought of some of my family members & friends.....lol

Picked up some 22 caliber 40 gr plastic tips from Midway a month or two ago to get ready for Sage rats and they re a flat base ( thus I believe Nosler and not Hornady) and they ve got 'gray plastic tips' on them too!!
Threw me a curve when I first in-boxed them ... lol

Those are over runs that were destined to be Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips. Winchester adds their Lubalux coating to these bullets and loads them up.
They will still preform like the regular BT with the Yellow tips. Sometimes you may also see Red tips which are ABs for Winchester and Orange which are made for Norma.

JD338

Back