Strangest Hunting Story!!

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
Twice in my life I heard of "hunters" who while they believed that they were taking deer under fire, were actually ejecting all their live ammo onto the ground, not understanding why the buck was walking away!! Buck fever to the max!

The other one is told of my neighbor, years ago, who knocked down a buck and when he got right up on the animal, stood over it and pumped five more rounds into the body! Talk about meat loss!!

Last one : On a deer hunt to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, a man hunting near me shot a buck from a tree stand. He was about 20 feet off the ground. When the buck was hit, but staggering off, our "hunter" put is knife between his teeth and jumped out of the tree, whooping like a savage! I heard the story, as others were carrying him out of the woods, with at least one broken ankle!

What is your best, strange hunting story?
Steven A.

Steven,

This started me day off with a smile. Diving out of the tree with a blade between his teeth is just too funny!

I read the account of a guide who was guiding a US Senator on a brown bear hunt in Alaska. Boating down a river, a bear charged into the river. The senator stood, threw a new 340 Weatherby into the river, and solemnly said, "I declare this hunt at a close." Had the guide not shot the bear, there would have been one less senator in the chamber after that recess. (Now, there is a thought!) The senator then claimed the bear.

A Canadian guide tells of a football player whom he guided on a moose hunt. When a moose came into the clearing, swaying and posturing as moose will do when looking for a fight, the massive man stood and promptly fainted.

The same guide tells of a man who ejected all his rounds when a moose came in, swearing that he had shot the beast all five times, until the guide pointed to the cartridges lying on the ground.

I must comment on the US Senator....

Must be a Democrat, not educated in the topic of Big Bear hunting, hence the 240 Wby and taking the credits from someone else efforts, letting the guide kill the bear.

JD338

Jim,

Typo, it was a 340 Wby. :oops: I would like to say he was a Democrat, but there are some Republicans that would fit the bill. :wink:

This happened when I was about 12 years old on state land next to the farm my dad owned; two hunting parties started on opposite sides of a rectangular patch of woods (about 40 acres) to push deer towards their friends posted on the ends. You can guess what happened to all the deer that were in the patch of woods, they came out the sides in the middle of the patch. My dad and I were sitting in his truck on one side of the patch of woods having lunch and had 7 deer run within 50 yards of the truck. Obviously one of the parties did not think of wind direction before they pushed the woods :lol:

One of my brothers shot at a monster buck when he was 17 from a stand on the ground, missed and had the buck charge him. He fell backwards over a log as he was trying to get behind the tree he was posted by and had to shoot at the buck with his rifle down by his hip. It is still the biggest buck shot by a family member, weighing 287 lbs field dressed with headgear that scored 167 BC.

When I was 12 or 13 my hunting buddy, his dad & I went out for whitetail.
Just after lunch we went for a walk and when we returned Mike asked his dad if he saw the big buck he had shot at and he advised him no and we did not hear any shots as well. We went back and found Mike's 3 unfired bullets from his Model 88 308.
Just saw Mike for the first time in over 20 years as he has moved to Hatford California we had a great supper and talked about that little incident :wink:

When I was in collage in the 70's I bought a CVA Mountain Rifle kit in 50 cal and put it together in my dorm room. A friend that lived near said that I could deer hunt on his land. So I wanted to kill a deer with the muzzle loader so that is what I was using on opening day of the VA deer season that year. I went up on a ridge where I had found quite a good bit of deer sign and sat down beside a fallen tree. There was this fellow that had been bow hunting on the land and he shows up for gun hunting with his trusty Win. 94. I was in my spot well before day light. He comes in well after day light and I see him sit down in the hollow about 100 yards below me. It was pretty open hard woods. We sat for about 1 hour and then I hear across the ridge in front of me the sound of something running in the leaves and it is coming right down toward where the fellow is sitting. I see him stand up and shoulder his rifle and with a precision follow through swinging on this nice 8 point buck all the while he is levering the rifle without firing a shot. I guess he jacked out all the rounds. This buck proceeds to run up to with in 30 yards of where I am sitting and stops broad side. I had already cocked and set the trigger on the Mountain Rifle when I first saw the deer coming. I rested the rifle on the log beside me and aligned the sights close behind it's front shoulder. I touched the hair set trigger and instead of hearing the BOOM and feeling the recoil of 110 grs of FFG pushing that 180 gr .490 round ball down the tube and into the bucks heart all I heard was POP. The buck just stood there. So I fished out my caper from my bag that was sitting beside me and re-cocked the rifle and took off the fired cap and put another one on and aligned the sights like before and touched the hair trigger and POP again. This time the buck decided that he had given me enough chances at him and he just slowly walked over the ridge and away. I found that I had gotten in too big of a hurry that morning, all excited to be going hunting with my new smoke pole, and forgot to run a patch down the barrel and pop a few caps on the nipple to clean out the oil that was left from my last cleaning before I loaded it up. I walked down to the field and took the nipple out of the rifle and the powder under it looked like soft tar. I picked this out and placed a little dry powder in the drum and replaced the nipple, capped it and aimed at a spot on a tree 50 yards away. I touched the hair trigger and BOOM went the rifle and the ball hit right where I was aiming. The other fellow had buck fever and I had a case of getting in too much of a hurry and not thinking.

It was 8 years ago I was hunting and shot a doe across afield at 130 yards and the bullet went through her an into another doe some twenty yards behind her to my disbelief. When I walked over to the second doe, I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye, something twitching just about ten yards beyond her. Yes!!! Laying just beyond the field in the woods was the third deer. That one bullet killed three deer that day and the third doe was the largest. I cleaned deer from 9:30am to 3:45pm that day. The bullet was a 180gr Protected Point Partition out of a 30-06.

I was 13 yrs old, and old enough to bow hunt in gun season but had to wait a year to hunt with a gun in Michigan. It was rifle season so my dad took me to Atlanta, MI where he hunted with his 30-06 and I with my Darton SL-50. This place is known to hold elk and also has a lot of turkeys and a good amount of deer on state land, in a pretty good size area.

I sat on a knoll that looked pretty good hoping that a deer would walk close enough to me to get a shot with my bow. My dad headed off further away from me somewhere. It was probably around 3 or 4 in the afternoon I'd say and across the draw I see 4 does walking along following each other but one of the does has an orange cloth on it's neck. Next thing, the doe with the orange scarf leaves the others and comes walking right up to me and she even licks my boot. I was so freaked out and I didnt know if I should give her an apple in my pocket or jab her with my broadhead. I decided to get the apple out but then she got a little spooked and joined the other deer maybe 150 yards away or so and they moved on. That was so crazy!

Come to find out, my dad had spotted that herd of deer way out in front of him and was trying to push them toward me without really pushing them too hard. He said he couldn't figure out why there was a hunter with them in blaze orange and why they didn't run away from him. When I told him what happened, he figured it out it was the orange scarf and it must have been a deer someone raised that later joined up with other deer in the wild. It was pretty bizzare and crazy considering where we were, but I'm glad I didn't kill the deer and it made a good memory for both my dad and I.

Several years ago, I sat on my "usual spot" waiting for a deer in SW Minnesota. The year before had been disappointing to say the least and I was glad to be out again. As I sat watching a small draw, maybe 70 yards across, I heard branches breaking and leaves moving. A deer was coming right toward me trying to avoid stepping out into the open field to my left or going down into the deeper brush chokeed drw to my right. I had all the time inm the world to get ready, and eventually caught a glimpse of a small buck making his way through the tree trunks and brush, down the far side of the draw and straight toward me. At the bottom of the draw when he was behind a tree I slipped the safety off and waited for him to step around a tree...a perfect frontal chest shot at maybe 30 yards, I took a breath, let it out, and settled the cross hairs on the spot just left of the tree where his chest would appear.

And then the alarm on my watch, that reminds me its time to leave for work, went off..... :oops: In that still very cold morning, it could not have sounded louder than if a grandfather clock had been sitting right behind me. If I had just concentrated on the shot and let him step around the tree I might have had a chance. Of course, I jerked my head up, dropped the stock from my shoulder, reaching for my watch with my trigger finger, just in time to see the deer stick his head out to the side around the tree. All I saw was rack, ears, eyeballs and nose. By the time I collected my self, he had swapped ends, and high-tailed it for the next county.
The following year I wore a sun dial..... and didnt see a deer. :lol:
Mc Manus cant write fiction that good! CL

Well, I've got absolutely nothing to add to this that will measure up, but I got a good laugh out of some of the tales.

JT.

Bullet (Mike) told me I should post this.

My first year of hunting big-game was 1972 and my dad and I along with one of his friends were hunting antelope on my grandfathers ranch. We came over a little rise, and there were about 15 or a few more antelope out in front of us a ways. My dad was able to jump out and take a shot as they were running, just before they went out of sight. He missed and we figured it was all over. Those darn antelope will run for miles sometimes before they stop.

Just a couple minutes after running out of sight behind the knob, all of a sudden this same group appeared again, and were running all out right back the way they had just came from. It was almost like a shooting gallery game at the fair. We were standing out about 20 yards apart from each other and the antelope came by us about 75-100 yards away broadside. The front group was all bunched up, but trailing about 20-30 yards behind was two bucks and a doe. The front buck was running near the doe, and the back buck was a little behind. My dad and I shot at the bucks, him shooting at the rear animal because of him standing to my left side, the side they were coming from. When we shot, you could not tell that two shots had gone off because they were so closely spaced together. It sounded like one shot. At the shot, three antelope dropped in a big cloud of dust!!!

My dad had hit his buck right behind the shoulder (15 1/2" buck), and I too had hit my buck behind the shoulder (12 inch buck). When I shot, the doe had run on the other side of him at the exact moment, and I hit her back at the rear of her lungs mid-ship. They both required a finishing shot, but technically it was two antelope with one shot! I remember jumping up and down yelling "I got him, I got him." My father's friend never fired a shot, and now his tag was filled to boot. I remember him not being very happy, but what's a guy to do!

Oh yes, my handle is 6mm Remington, and it happened to be a Remington Model 600 Centennial model in 6mm Remington that I was shooting. I have to admit one horrible sin though......... I was shooting 100 gr. Remington factory ammunition!! That was the last year I have ever used Factory ammo on game.

All great stuff and all better than fiction, but funnier!

During one of the great years of gunning Canada Geese on the Chesapeake, we had six guns lined up along the shore line in brushed up blinds, knocking down geese as they flew low up the creek. (A creek on the Eastern Shore of Maryland is many times more than 200 ft. wide!) My usual hunting partner had brought his father who was, at that time, 81 years old, but still spry and able to use a 12ga. magnum gun. We always shot our positions. That is to say, if the geese flew right to left, the man on the far left always fired on the lead goose, while the man on the far right brought the tail end goose under fire and all the guns in the center, shot the appropriate goose for their position in the line of guns. My friend's father cried out each time a goose dropped out; "I got him! I got him!" This happened no matter where the goose was in the formation. If one goose was dropped out, or six geese dropped out, the old guy claimed the hit! At lunch one of us went and got a huge bucket of greasy, fried chicken, which taste better when consumed in a cold goose blind. When the old man left the circle, we all conspired to not fire on the next group of geese that flew up the creek. Sure enough, three geese came along and while we stood to fire at the right time, only the old man opened up on the three geese. Boom! BoomBoom! Spoke his gun and all three geese kept flying, showing no signs of being hit! No one said a word! Without missing a beat, the old guy turned to us and said; "Dang! That chicken grease on my trigger finger made me miss!"
Steven A.

Back