Strelok App. For Android

wvchevy3

Handloader
Dec 4, 2005
I have been using the strelok app for my phone, and it works great. You can dial in just about any scope/cross hair configuration and punch in your data. It is awesome in the field ,the free version only gives you hold over points for max magnification. the Plus version $4.99 i think. allows you to change magnification and makes adjustments for you. Lee

I've fooled with it some on my iphone, as I have with several others. All of them fail me in one respect - they're not quick enough to use afield. I keep a copy of my range card with me, accessible (usually in a coat pocket or sometimes just written on the back of my hand) and find that works very well. Of course, I use a self-imposed 500yd limit, and I further limit shots beyond 400yds to near perfect conditions. So far, that's worked well for me. I do like to play around with these apps/programs, but until I find one that works quickly, I'll stick with a laminated card or a sharpie and the back of my left hand.

dubyam":22caq0sb said:
I'll stick with a laminated card or a sharpie and the back of my left hand.

Old school, huh? There are a few of us around. Don't mess with success.

I heard that. I too like to do things old school. However I am always looking to try new gadgets. Lee

Like you, Lee, I have a room full of new gadgets. I'm an inveterate tester. Even when things work, and sometimes work well, I find myself gravitating back to what I first learned. I suspect that younger shooters will use this particular app more than I ever will, just because they are being trained on it; and it will work well for them.

I run the Bullet Flight ap on my phone. Once I get the load worked out and verified, I copy and paste the data into an Excel sheet. Print the tables, laminate them and 550 cord the card to my stock pouch. Works pretty decent.

dubyam":3e51hvcz said:
I've fooled with it some on my iphone, as I have with several others. All of them fail me in one respect - they're not quick enough to use afield. I keep a copy of my range card with me, accessible (usually in a coat pocket or sometimes just written on the back of my hand) and find that works very well. Of course, I use a self-imposed 500yd limit, and I further limit shots beyond 400yds to near perfect conditions. So far, that's worked well for me. I do like to play around with these apps/programs, but until I find one that works quickly, I'll stick with a laminated card or a sharpie and the back of my left hand.

I understand how quickly a range card can work. I have them for a couple of rifles and always have them for my Dad with his BDC reticles.

I'd have to say, though, that at 400+ yards my Shooter program is the only way I got my elk last November. Rifle sighted in to 250 yards with hunter-style (no knob) turrets and duplex reticle on my 340 Wby make it point-and-shoot to 300 yards. As such I didn't see any need for a range card since we've never taken an elk beyond that yardage. Doesn't it figure that one shows up at 350+ and is beyond 400 when I'm ready to take the shot? I had a fair amount of angst right about then about what to do since my turreted scope was on my other rifle...

When push came to shove I hauled out my iPhone, dialed in the 340 (I had installed all the info just because I do for all of my rifles) at 400 yards, spun off the turret caps, counted clicks and touched off a round. Bingo!

I like Shooter. :wink:

Don't get me wrong, Patrick, I know they work. I just have too slow a phone, or my phone has too slow an operator, or something.

I'll tell you something that's been a real help for me, is learning how to sight in for maximum point blank range. I set up my white-tail rifles with a 5" kill circle, and zero the rifle such that the bullet won't ever be more than 2.5" above or below the point of aim, out to a given distance. (An elk rifle could use a larger circle, maybe 8" or so, due to the larger kill zone.) Now, what that means is the my hits, factoring in group size of 1MOA, should be within an 8-10" circle out to 300-400yds. I suspect you're familiar with the theory up to this point. But I add a simple twist that gets me out nearly to 500 with my longer reaching rifles, and out to 400 with nearly everything else. I look at my MPBR for say, my 300Wby. It's right about 300yds. Now, that's great, but what about your 350+ bull? Well, I look at two more points on the curve - again, keeping in mind that white-tails are my target in this example. I look at the distance at which my drop is around 5-6", and 10-12". For my 300, that gives me almost exactly 350 and 400yds, respectively. I write down those three numbers on my range card (after verifying the drops at the range). Then I can go in the field with full knowledge that my 300'bee will hit where I want (within the kill zone) out to 300yds holding dead on. Knowing, as well, that white-tails are about 18-20" from bottom of breast to top of back, I can then use my other two measures to create two additional holdovers. At 350yds, I'm holding halfway between "dead on kill zone" and "top of back." At 400, I'm holding even with the top of his back. Anywhere in between, I can relatively quickly interpolate, knowing that I've got maybe a 2-3" fudge margin that still keeps me in the kill zone.

For certain rifles (mainly, my 'bees), I know I can shoot out to my self-imposed 500yd limit on game, if conditions are absolutely perfect or dadgum close to it, and I cannot get any closer to the animal without losing any possible shot opportunity. In those instances, I generally shoot out the 450 and 500yd marks, and put those on my range card. But for most of my rifles, only three distances are on the range card - Dead on, half, and top of back. Knowing those three is simple, and leaves little room for error in the field. I'll have to rework the system a tad when I go for larger game, but only in terms of the animal size numbers, so the premise will hold up, just at different ranges.

DrMike":39pb2wf0 said:
dubyam":39pb2wf0 said:

I miss my rotary dial phone. :(

I couldn't find a long enough cord to take the phone with me so I had to get one of those cellphone contraptions. What's this app everyone is talking about? How do I put it on my phone?

Yes, I really am that technology challenged.
I like it that way. :grin: When I retire I'll become even more regressive.

Vince":82vvohzw said:
DrMike":82vvohzw said:
dubyam":82vvohzw said:

I miss my rotary dial phone. :(

I couldn't find a long enough cord to take the phone with me so I had to get one of those cellphone contraptions. What's this app everyone is talking about? How do I put it on my phone?

Yes, I really am that technology challenged.
I like it that way. :grin: When I retire I'll become even more regressive.
I still have a rotary dial phone in the basement and it still works.
Like Dubyam and others I still use the old school method of knowing your rifle and load point of impact. I get lost with a GPS and need the sun and tree moss to navigate in the day time and leave enough sign to back track myself home. :roll:

[/quote]
I still have a rotary dial phone in the basement and it still works.
Like Dubyam and others I still use the old school method of knowing your rifle and load point of impact. I get lost with a GPS and need the sun and tree moss to navigate in the day time and leave enough sign to back track myself home. :roll:[/quote]

I have a GPS but can't figure out how to work it.
I have a cell phone that can do more things than I can fathom. I'm not kidding here. I'm not very savvy when it comes to technology. I'm using this overpriced electronic typewriter gizmo to communicate and it too baffles me.
I carry maps and a compass. My hunting partner carries a computer. We both get where we are going but by different methods. My concession to technology is using the indoor plumbing at home. :lol: I'm finally understanding what my parents griped about when they said the world was moving too fast. Me, I'm looking to slow down more, as far as high tech and gee whiz goes, but want to keep my body running along as fast and as good as I can for as long as I can.
I sound like an old fart, and maybe I am due to the life I've led, but I ain't all that old yet. :(

"Strelok App. For Android"

wvchevy3 - read that from the perspective of a low-tech guy. Does it even seem like the English language? :grin:

I know what you mean, and I think most of us here do - being in general at least somewhat computer savvy folks, mostly with modern phones. So I think most of us "got it." But just look at the words, and think how odd & foreign they would be, say 20 years ago... Would they make any sense at all then? No... I don't think so. Interesting.

I didn't know a rotary phone would still work! For some reason, that pleases me.

Times are moving and changing fast, in the tech world. People are still people, pretty much like we were 2,000 years ago. Some of us do a better job of keeping up.

Oh, re the sights/scope and hitting things afield?

A couple of my rifles have target turrets. With them I stick with what works for me:

Range it, dial it, send it.

The rest have standard scopes or sights. If I find the animal within range, I hold appropriately and shoot. If it's out of range, I see what I can do about getting closer. Pretty simple, and it works out well.

This is an interesting discussion in several different ways.

Thanks all, for contributing. Now I need to go look up Strelok. :wink:

Guy

Back