Stripped Screw Head

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I have a 6-48 screw with a torx head that has a stripped head. It was the last screw to be removed from a set of scope rings so that I could change the scope. Any Ideas on how to remove it.

A picture will help along with more info like did you use loctite on the screw and what type. Is it still on the gun or just the scope.
Primarily you would place the ring in a drill press vise and using a drill bit the size of the screw head drill the head of the screw till the head pops off the shank. There should be enough screw shank left to use a pair of vise grips to turn the screw out. If you loctited the screw use a electric soldering iron to heat the screw shank to melt the loctite before trying to turn it out.

A picture will help along with more info like did you use loctite on the screw and what type. Is it still on the gun or just the scope.
Primarily you would place the ring in a drill press vise and using a drill bit the size of the screw head drill the head of the screw till the head pops off the shank. There should be enough screw shank left to use a pair of vise grips to turn the screw out. If you loctited the screw use a electric soldering iron to heat the screw shank to melt the loctite before trying to turn it out.
That's generally how I get out little screws. A broken screw extractor works, if you have one, but everybody has a drill and handful of bits laying around

be sure you're using the correct torx bit size . it seems that one size smaller fits loose, and you think it's ok . go up to the next size torx bit , the bit should fit nice and snug . maybe try buying a torx bit in town ( auto store ) , some of the cheap bits fit loose, and the tool rounds .

I can't remember what way I did this ; I either used a allen wrench in a stripped torx screw , or I used a Torx in a stripped allen screw . I had to lightly tap the tool in with a small hammer , but it brought out the stripped screw .

Back