Subsonic 22's

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
It's been a long time since I read much about small game hunting, but lately there seems to be a big preference for subsonic ammo in rimfire for squirrel, even when not running a suppressor. Other than the quieter report, what's the real advantage using it? Many times I've shot 2-3 squirrels out of the same hickory within a few minutes with the louder stuff, and it didn't seem to bother them too bad as long as I stayed put.. I guess for hunting I always thought that the standard and high velocity ammo shot "flatter". Definitely not knocking the use of it, but just wondering what I may be missing out on. I will say that the Eley and Aguila subsonic is very accurate in my rifles.

I think some are finding more accuracy in their particular rifles with subsonic and less meat damage. This is on squirrels from couple hunters I've encountered. Like you I have mostly used standard to high velocity but stayed away from hyper velocity in 22LR. Dan.

I much prefer sub sonic HP's for squirrel hunting. CCI subsonic 40 grain Lead HP's are premium for my rifle, but can't always find them. Currently I'm using Remington subsonic HP instead. Doesn't shoot quite as well, but same results.

With sq hunting I use them both for the accuracy, and it takes little to nothing to stop them. They wont exit a coon head. and barely exit a sq head. I often hunt behind a dog and am shooting my squirrels out of trees, not on the ground. Often on ridges. If that bullet leaves the side of the ridge, hard telling where it would end up. As long as I'm sure that if I miss the squirrel it will hit something behind it, it's done.

Besides that even if you're shooting a sq as little as 10 yds away from the tree, you know it's dead before it falls. You can hear every hit. THUMP, and wait for it to fall. I like them!

Been using the CCI Quiet ammo in the 69A for grouse. Shoots great, very little report, and if the shot isn't quite right, doesn't tear up the breast as badly as the regular or hyper velocity loads.

I have done almost all of my small game hunting with subsonic or standard velocity loads. I used to use Remington subsonic HP in my ruger single six for rabbits, but now mostly shoot CCI Standard velocity with my suppressor in either my ruger mkiii or 10/22.

It really helps from spooking game while big game hunting. Grouse, ptarmigan, and rabbits are all fair game while moose and caribou hunting as long as I have the suppressor.

Headshots kill quickly and the low report often allows for a couple shots of the first one doesn’t connect.

Dang it; 0510 and Ive learned I need to try some subsonics. Havn’t even had my first cup of coffee yet.
Ha! This discussion makes me wish it was coming into fall already. Shooting a limb hugging squirrel in the head that's 80ft up in a big poplar or oak is great practice and hearing that thump hit from a subsonic is like a note of music. We've been having some crappy weather of late, I must be getting cabin fever.

I have tried all kinds of ammo in my 39A but I still come back to the tried and true 36gr HP at 1260 FPS.
Just waiting for the price to come down a little more then I plan on picking up a case of 5000.
I always aim for the head on Squirrels and Rabbits and not concerned about meat damage, besides nothing like shooting a sparrow and see them come floating down.

I much prefer sub sonic HP's for squirrel hunting. CCI subsonic 40 grain Lead HP's are premium for my rifle, but can't always find them. Currently I'm using Remington subsonic HP instead. Doesn't shoot quite as well, but same results.

With sq hunting I use them both for the accuracy, and it takes little to nothing to stop them. They wont exit a coon head. and barely exit a sq head. I often hunt behind a dog and am shooting my squirrels out of trees, not on the ground. Often on ridges. If that bullet leaves the side of the ridge, hard telling where it would end up. As long as I'm sure that if I miss the squirrel it will hit something behind it, it's done.

Besides that even if you're shooting a sq as little as 10 yds away from the tree, you know it's dead before it falls. You can hear every hit. THUMP, and wait for it to fall. I like them!
If you can’t find the CCI subs, the 38 Gr Aguila subsonic HP’s are very accurate and priced about the same. Natchez usually has them.

If you can’t find the CCI subs, the 38 Gr Aguila subsonic HP’s are very accurate and priced about the same. Natchez usually has them.
The regular Aquila super extra 38 Gr HP's shoot very accurate in a lever 22 I have. I have enough 22 ammo that I usually just buy local when I run across some at a good buy, I haven't seen the sub sonic Aquila's. Will have to keep my eye out for them and try them. Thanks.

I use Winchester 40g subs, with my suppressor, brilliant for squirrel but it is also my favoured round for shooting bunnies, you can often shoot 3 or 4 bunnies before they take the hint and run for home.

I like the plain standard velocity .22 rounds but CCI or Eley. Out of my 23" barreled CZ they are deadly on small game. Of course, I've killed a bunch of red squirrels with CB caps loaded one at a time in the neighborhood.

For rabbits, I like the CCI Velocitors.

Back