T/C Encore Pro Hunter 28" 35 Whelen

elkeater2":2g964wch said:
For what it's worth, I have gone with either high strength weaver style scope bases or the Leupold dual dovetail. With the weaver style base, I have installed a set screw at the front which contacts the barrel. The short base length and the failure to fit the the barrel contour are issues which allow the scope to flex on firing. Really. With heavier loads anyway.

I fully bedded the scope mount on my 22-250 barrel with JB weld, applied to both barrel and mount so a perfect fit was achieved to keep the overhand supported. Just clean up the edges before it sets up and it's pretty easy. Probably wasn't required with a light recoiling caliber, I've used leupy dual turns with no problems.

It's been awhile since I started this topic but I just now got around to working with my Encore. I mounted a Tally LW base/ring mount and set a Leupold 4x in it. I loaded some IMR4064 that I had laying around at 54.5grs and after a bore sight and a sighter @ 25yds I went back to 100yds. The first 3 shot group was right at 3.5" using the 250gr Hornady RN. I came back to the shop and pulled the forearm off and there was a lot of play between the barrel and frame. I ordered a 1x and 2x pin kit from Mike Bellm to try and fix the play. The 1x pin was too small and the 2x pin was too large on one side because of the frame hole. I took some 400grit sandpaper and spun the unmarked side and it finally tapped in with a small acrylic hammer. I loaded up 3 more rounds and went back to the bench. The next 3 shot group was just under 1".

$25 well spent on the pins.

Nice! The old 35 Whelen always seems to shoot decent with the smallest amount of work.

Back