Take down Rifles - Which one to choose among these models...

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
I am gathering information on a new rifle which (hopefully) I will be getting towards end of this year and I would really like this rifle to be a modular/take down type.
For my hunting I need my rifle to be dismounted to the minimum necessary, to be packed into my rucksack until I reach the hunting area.

I have narrowed my choice down to three models, and I would like you to chip in and add your comments/experience to help me make the right (for me) choice.

In alphabetical order :grin: :

* Blaser R93 Professional
Pros =
Very accurate :grin:
Scope mount directly on the barrel (100% return to zero guaranteed after barrel ri-assembling) :grin:
Active safety, it can be carried with a chambered round (hammer needs to be manually cocked) :grin:
Quite lightweight :wink:

Cons =
Expansive bolt :(
No set trigger available :(
Plasticky made :(

** Mauser M03
Pros =
Active safety, it can be carried with a chambered round (hammer needs to be manually cocked) :grin:
Adjustable set trigger (100-300 grams) :grin:
6 lugs 60° rotating bolt
Quality made :grin:

Cons =
Scope mounts on frame (Is it going to return to perfect zero after reassembling ?) :? :? :?

***Mannlicher Luxus
Pros =
Adjustable set trigger :grin:
Scope mount directly on the barrel :grin:
6 lugs rotating bolt
Quality made :grin:

Cons =
No manual cocking available :cry:
Thinner barrels compared to others

To be honest, I would lean towards the Mauser if it wasn't for the Scope mount that is separate from the barrel (big question mark on keeping the zero).
Pricewise, they are all pretty close...on the expensive side :oops:

Feel free to add your comments.

Thank you.
:mrgreen:

All have a good reputation. I can't say that I've shot any of these as they are not commonly seen in North America. I am intrigued by the thought of carry in your rucksack until reaching the hunting grounds. The closest rifle in concept that I have shot is the BLR take-down model. All I have shot were pleasingly accurate without a problem of wandering zero. I should imagine that the issue has been addressed by each of the manufacturers you list.

After shooting this Blaser, I want one. This isn't modular, but it awesome and I have never touched a more accurate, quick cycling rifle. Blaser made their mark on me with this one. Scotty

IMG_0914.jpg

beretzs":39clnowv said:
After shooting this Blaser, I want one. This isn't modular, but it awesome and I have never touched a more accurate, quick cycling rifle. Blaser made their mark on me with this one. Scotty

Scotty, no doubts on R93 accuracy, at all !

I personally saw it putting 4 bullets into 1 hole (and I mean 1 "normal" bullet hole - no clover) at 100 meters with a heavy barrel in 6 Norma BR.

Two things get me about the R93 :

1) No set trigger....you know...Us European :grin:

2) That damn expanding bolt.... (yeah, I got that one eyed Guy's pic in mind.... :cry: ).

:wink:

The set trigger is a problem, but that expanding bolt is pretty solid piece of gear and I think the lockup on it has to be as strong or stronger than a WBY with 9 lugs. Plus, I have seen it work and I am a believer in it. Scotty

Blaser would be my choice when all is said and done. Scotty, that is one serious rifle you are holding. If the Blaser can take 250,000 pounds per square inch of pressure, then it is stronger than a Mark V action. 8)

Mike, I have no idea what the Blaser could hold PSI wise, but knowing how the military specs their rifles, I would think it would be strong. They have to take account of the rounds getting hot while sitting in 130* temps and the rifle being scorching hot. Again, I know the WBY is a strong one, but I would think the Blaser is able to hold its own. Scotty

beretzs":1l6gdnxq said:
Mike, I have no idea what the Blaser could hold PSI wise, but knowing how the military specs their rifles, I would think it would be strong. They have to take account of the rounds getting hot while sitting in 130* temps and the rifle being scorching hot. Again, I know the WBY is a strong one, but I would think the Blaser is able to hold its own. Scotty

No doubt, it is a fine rifle, that is why it is the pick of the three you mentioned as far as I am concerned.

After a few considerations, I am leaning towards this one (.308 Win. Caliber) :

hs8360.jpg

beretzs":12po234t said:
Mike, I have no idea what the Blaser could hold PSI wise........ Scotty

Blaser is a super serious no nonsense company. (At least judging from their MSRP..... :mrgreen: )

The rifles are as strong as the ones we're use to. They would not mass produce an inferior product.

They stand up to the rigors of desert heat and just take a beating. They aren't like an Acc Intern, rifle, but they are top notch rifles! I would take one, you know, just for woodchucks and prairie dogs or something! Scotty

Back